Discuss What is this box to the left of my electrical meter? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

shempz

DIY
Reaction score
Hi all,

Very much a novice when it comes to electrics. Anyway, we're getting an EV chargepoint installed, but before we do, I was wondering what exactly is the small box to the left of the electric meter in this picture? It is connected to the meter and then is also connected to the consumer box.

IMG_20240104_131653.jpg

It’s simply a big connector block. No fancy electronics… just a lump of brass inside a plastic box.

Very common.

Sometimes referred to as a “Henley” block.
Henley being one of many manufacturers.
This has me puzzled, as an American electrician. It appears the service utility comes from the fused block (black) at the bottom of the photo, then extends to the utility meter on the right, then off to the consumer unit (we call those breaker panels) not pictured. Why is the Henley block sealed?

This has me puzzled, as an American electrician. It appears the service utility comes from the fused block (black) at the bottom of the photo, then extends to the utility meter on the right, then off to the consumer unit (we call those breaker panels) not pictured. Why is the Henley block sealed?

Regulations here require that live parts can not be accessed without the use of a tool, but in this instance the service block will most likely have been sealed due to the fact that protection at this point will be provided by a fuse rated between 63A and 100A.

While it is on the consumer's side of the meter, those tails were most likely terminated by the energy supplier who routinely seal everything.

Reply to What is this box to the left of my electrical meter? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi all, Customer has an extension and this compromises existing meter position, DNO is extending incomer and putting meter box on a different...
Replies
Views
Hi, need some advice, I moved over from Sse in 2020 to Octpus energy. Whilst I was with SSE I was on E10 when I went over to octopus they put me...
Replies
Views
Hi there, I built a house with ground source heating 5 years ago and it's a fairly large house so I have 3 phase supply 80 amps per phase. I had...
Replies
Views
On another forum for general EV chat this question comes up all the time. It's very common to install a charger taking the supply direct from the...
Replies
Views
Looks very strange to me. Obviously had a new fuse carrier fitted to it at one point but the two cables on the left go to the meter as normal...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock