Search the forum,

Discuss 13A Outlets with USB outlets in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I must admit I don't really see the point of them. You need a charger anyway in case you need to charge elsewhere, so although it frees up a socket, I'd rather use the charger so I always know where it is.

my understanding of this product is

i would treat it as as any other accessory with electronics , rcd spur , dimmer , shaver skt etc , with regards to installing , testing , and longevity.
and i thought the usb outlets came in various outputs ranging from 1A - 2A , obviously higher rated will charge your gadgets faster.
and the dc supply on the outgoing side should have overload protection built-in , so i dont see it as any more hazadous than any other charging method.

just my 2p.

peace out. :)

Thats what I thought , the Crabtree ones look o/k though on their own look o/k though , thats probably why Crabtree have done this ....

that is the reason why ill be messing about with resistors this week to trick the phone into thinking its charging from offical so i can charge at the full 2amps

This is an interesting post. Thanks to OP for raising it!

I have never fitted any of these but have been tempted to do so by my bedside cabinet. Sad I know.... Why I haven't is twofold; no 'decent' branded ones I have come across at a reasonable cost, and due to concerns over the charging rate (as a few have mentioned here).

Would be interested to know the outcome of your attempts at deception Shanky, so please post results. Out of curiosity how do you know which value of resistors to use? Or maybe you don't know as of yet pending your experiment!

This is an interesting post. Thanks to OP for raising it!

I have never fitted any of these but have been tempted to do so by my bedside cabinet. Sad I know.... Why I haven't is twofold; no 'decent' branded ones I have come across at a reasonable cost, and due to concerns over the charging rate (as a few have mentioned here).

Would be interested to know the outcome of your attempts at deception Shanky, so please post results. Out of curiosity how do you know which value of resistors to use? Or maybe you don't know as of yet pending your experiment!
i need 1.2v on d+ and d- cores.

using the formulae for a voltage divider i found i can use a 3k and 1k resistor for each core to grnd

Bought one online. Strange considering the screw points on the sides would match up with a standard single back box, but the (what i assume is) the transformer and terminal point on the back doesnt actually fit. Not sure what to make of that.

If your charging something like an i phone there fine.
Anything larger like an ipad or sat nav and they wont recognise a charge status because there not man enough.

If you look at the link MDJ has put up, you will see that the dedicated units have physically larger transformers.
The combined socket usb outlets only have room for a very small tranny, hence the limiting charge capability.

Pedant alert... (they're) I've said it now!

it's not wall USB charger, socket you talk of but upright one, supplied by customer. fitted the other day, charged my phone OK!
59f4695d24252b96b9a55e315d79117f.jpg

Reply to 13A Outlets with USB outlets in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back