Search the forum,

Discuss 4mm twin and earth supplying garage cu in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

MvP Electrics

Hi all,

just doing an inspection in a house and noticed that the garage consumer unit is supplied by 4mm twin and earth run from the main consumer unit of a 32amp breaker.

Garage consumer unit 100amp main switch and has 32amp- ring(4 sockets), 20amp -radial (1 socket) and 6amp lights(6 downlighters & 2 pendants).

I was thinking of isolating this garage consumer unit and telling the client it's unsafe.

I was also goin to recommend to the client to run a new cable to garage.

Any thoughts and suggestions would be nice. First time in 5 years house bashing I come across a problem like this.

Thanks

No matter what they they try to use in power from within the garage its protected up front by the 32A, more of a nuisance for the customer if it trips.

As UNG says its more on the lines of not complying with the regs.

thanks guys, i was getting confused about the 4mm cable, bank holiday weekends are not good for the brain.

my next problem is the client wants the garage consumer unit changed to a 3way rcd protected one. im relunctant to do it now got a bad gut feeling lol.

any tips what you would do in this situation?

they are willing to pay £150 for labour and certification.

thanks in advance.

if the 4mm supply cable is buried in a wall less than 50mm or in the ground then you should RCD protect the circuit from origin then no need for rcd in garage.

Last edited:
Sorry if im being slow but im not seeing why you think you would need to disconnect the circuit becuase its unsafe.
are you saying its unsafe becuase there isnt any RCD protection or becuase the cable is under-rated ? or just becuase there is a 32A MCB supplying a Ring circuit which is supplied by a 32A MCB back at the house?

If that is the real only concern then why not just change the 32A MCB supplying the 4 sockets for a 20A.

Reply to 4mm twin and earth supplying garage cu in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock