Currently reading:
Advice on lighting design for wharehouse

Discuss Advice on lighting design for wharehouse in the Electricians' Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, iv been asked to change some lights in a wharehouse.I mostly experianced in the domestic side so bear with me .
The warehouse consists of 4 ailse, height of lights in each ailse is about 25ft . Width is about 7ft, length is about 30ft. At the moment they have got 3 x 8ft double flouresent fittings on each aisle hanging at about 25 ft up on chains from the roof.3 or 4 tubes on each light arnt working at the mo and the ones that are glow orange. They are obviously complaining about the poor lighting.

I was thinking about changing the tubes for new ones. But at 25ft up from the ground are they going to be that effective anyway with new tubes or would it be best to fit flood light type fittings with metal haloyd bulbs bolted to the steel gurders angled down?How many would you recomend on each aisle? Also the flouresents that are there at the moment have no metal cage covering to protect against damage as a folk lift is in use regular, would these need to be added ?. Any suggestions on what flood fittings would be best for a white light.
The only fixing points is the steel gurders. thanks peeps

Hi mattyevz,

Any of your larger, local electrical suppliers usually have a lighting engineer to hand that would come out and do a design for you with all the data you need and list of parts. There is usually no charge for this service as they expect you to buy the goods from them, though you are under no obligation to do so.;)

I would suggest fitting some lobay SON or metal halide fittings have a look on the web for a lighting design calculator there are a few about. Fluorescent fittings are becoming limited as the 8ft fittings are all but extinct and the price of tubes is increasing and I believe the 6ft fitting is to follow it in the not to distant future so you would be left with 5 ft fittings as the only option

A variety of types of lobay here

Low Bays - Commercial Lighting

I don’t know if by just looking at IKEA or HOMEBASE you can really get an idea about how to do it, especially since you will only work with aproximations (don’t think someone will give you the exact specs for the lighting system). Maybe they even have an industrial patent for their own system. Anyways, I like most how IKEA stores are built (lighting included).

What i meant was if you don,t know what to install have a look at a few existing installations that work ie IKEA warehouse most of these use low bay fittings ,and in the other dept.they install a metal trough system and the light fittings clip onto the side of trough with a clix for every fitting in the trough with wiring.

yours benji

T5 HO 80w 5' tubes would be suitable, maybe 6 per old fitting with highly polished reflectors..

more economical than the old T8/T12 tubes likely installed, and much higher lumen output...

Probably the cheapest option too....

I'd put 400W son-T lowbay fittings up at each existing point (providing the wiring will cope) mounted on girder clips and jack chain.

I recently put 6 up in a barn which is 30M x 30M and 10M high, with the fittings at 9M - its like daylight in there!

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: energy efficiency you should look at high/low bay induction lighting, they supposedly have a life span of 100,000 hours the same as LED tech but at about 2/3rds the cost of led.

about 200watts and the client could get carbon trust funding to pay for them. (pay u for them)

I've never used them, so I'd be interested to gear from anyone that has.

Liberator

Reply to Advice on lighting design for wharehouse in the Electricians' Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back