Discuss Advice ref blinking lights all circuits in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Would a data logger pick up a blink/flicker like this? My instinct tells me a slightly loose connection.
I don’t know but I’d like to think so as a diagnostic tool. Maybe a member has experienced the positive that a data logger produces.
Until we can all get there and wiggle and tighten we’ll have to hang fire until we get an update!

I've skim-read the thread so sorry if this has been asked - did the flickering happen at any point while the data logger was connected?

I'd have a bit more of an in depth read if I were you

Would you now? I can't see that my question has been answered. "They say that there is no fluctuations from their side that would cause “flicker” so have said it’s not an issue from their end." certainly doesn't answer it if that's what you were thinking.

Mmm. The point I was making is that as far as I know, nobody has connected a data logger yet.

Mmm. The point I was making is that as far as I know, nobody has connected a data logger yet.

Powergrid came out, inspected and setup voltage recording device and left that running for about 8 days.

I must admit I had to double check after your post! I'm interested if the problem actually occurred when the recording device was installed, as that would be different to "the recording device was installed but the problem didn't occur and they couldn't see anything wrong when they looked at the results".

I've also been wondering what the resolution of such a device would be, and would it be sufficient enough to detect a momentary glitch.

Doh. Sorry, I missed the bit about the supplier using a recording device sorry.

I'm with you on maybe it missing the briefest of glitches when they occur though. Would be good to see how well it picks up dips in the order of milliseconds.

Hi,

Yes, the problem occured while the recording device was installed. It was left on for 8 days. It was a Fluke device of some description, though couldn't tell you what. They said it would record voltage fluctuations.

I will try to take some photos over the weekend.

I'm thinking of getting a second opinion if the guys who carried out the work can't find anything when they come back on Thursday and if they insist it's a supply issue. I guess it could be purely coincidental that this only started happening within a week of the work taking place, but, because of that, I think it unlikely that it will prove to be a supply fault.

Doh. Sorry, I missed the bit about the supplier using a recording device sorry.

I'm with you on maybe it missing the briefest of glitches when they occur though. Would be good to see how well it picks up dips in the order of milliseconds.
i regulary pick up dips. mmmmm.
upload_2018-3-16_14-31-1.jpeg

How did the electrician isolate the supply to enable the new CU to be fitted safely?
If there is no double pole isolator fitted between the meter and CU I assume the main cut out fuse was removed after breaking the seals?
Before refitting the cut out fuse were the terminals checked and the fuse retaining screws checked for tightness?
Were all the cut out terminal screws checked for tightness?
If the cables from the meter to the CU were replaced were all the meter terminal screws checked for tightness?

Sorry to drag this old thread up, came across it when searching for GU10 polarity checking.

Was this ever resolved?

Is the circuit effected a two or more way switched one, if so perhaps the potential current in the permanent live charging the capacitor in the GU10 and discharging causing a flash.

I realise that, but thought as no conclusion was reached it may be helpful to resurrect the thread to see if knowledge of this type of problem had improved over the last eighteen months or so.

Reply to Advice ref blinking lights all circuits in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net