Discuss Are my old qualifications good enough to become "qualified" in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi All, I am not a sparky at present, I work in engineering, but I am considering a change.

Last time there was a global financial crisis (2008-ish) I decided that I'd had enough of the uncertainty of working in someone else's engineering business and did my C&G 2330 L2 & L3 over a couple of years through night school, as a fall back option. By the time I finished the 2330 course, the engineering work picked up and I carried on "making hay" for the next few years. Fast forward to the pandemic and I have again hit rocky ground and am now kicking myself that I didn't move forward any further with my plan to become independently self employed in a trade. In the intervening years I have re-wired my house and done a few little bits for friends and family, but no "official" electrical work.

I'm 40 now and have a mortgage, so any change in profession would have to be a bit of a transition. I know a lot of regular advice is to become an apprentice or offer to work for free, but this isn't really a realistic option. I guess I am in a bit better position that a youngster (in some respects) in that I have health and safety qualifications, experience of contracts, liability insurance, tax etc.

I have (engineering) work for a couple more months, but may well be unemployed after Christmas. I would like to come up with a plan for what might be possible with my current qualifications.

I know the wiring regs have gone up a notch, I assume I might need to do a refresher course?

I think when I took the qualifications my lecturers said that they were sufficient to gain a part P accreditation. I know that this is potentially looked down upon :confused: , but it would seem like a pragmatic way of getting into being able to "officially" undertake some degree of electrical work. I also seem to recall that they mentioned some of the accreditation bodies were a bit more relaxed than others with regards to allowing you to use work on your own property for assessment, which is obviously something I have available and ready to go. Is this still the case?

Sorry for such a long post. I would welcome any advice - hopefully encouraging, but feel free to call me deluded

It would be best to work alongside an experienced sparks for a little while in my opinion.

Maybe someone on here needs a hand, you can try posting up your location.

It sounds like it might not take you too long to build up the on site knowledge to go out on your own if you want afterwards.

It would be best to work alongside an experienced sparks for a little while in my opinion.

Maybe someone on here needs a hand, you can try posting up your location.

It sounds like it might not take you too long to build up the on site knowledge to go out on your own if you want afterwards.

Thanks for the reply. I think that is sensible advice. At the moment I am working, so its unfortunately not something I can commit to at present. In the meantime I would like to explore what I can do to get my qualifications up to scratch so that I can be better prepared to hit the ground running. The various accreditation bodies seem quite keen for peoples cash, so I may call round and see what they have to say.

Yes, contact one (or more) of the Competent Person Schemes and you can then get a definite answer if your old quals are enough. You'll certainly need the qualification for the 18th edition of BS7671.

Reply to Are my old qualifications good enough to become "qualified" in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net