Discuss Connecting together 6mm cables in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Wilf999

DIY
Reaction score
Hi.... First time I've posted here. I own a property which is rented out. Recently the Gas Oven failed a gas safety test and the Gas Engineers recommended an Electric Oven. I purchased a 2.3Kw oven and they fitted it and plugged it into the ring main. Its only a small terrace and just as the one ring. There is no cooker feed in the kitchen so I wish to provide a new dedicated cooker supply to the Kitchen. There used to be an electric shower with a 6mm feed and this is still connected to a block in the rear bedroom via a 32amp MCB. The house is fully decorated so trying to reduce the inconvenience to the Tenant by causing minimal disruption. To keep costs down I intend to do as much work as I can before getting a spark to sign it off. The existing feed goes from the consumer unit in the front downstairs room up the plaster wall and then up the wall in the bedroom and into the loft. There is plenty of slack under the floorboards in the front bedroom before it goes to the loft. I want to cut it here, joint it and run another 6mm cable to the kitchen under the floorboards.

My question is ... how do I joint both 6mm cables together ?.... Preferably this would be under the floorboards however there is enough slack to put a box on the skirting although this would not look that great. I have read various comments about a permanent joint etc, but also that it must be visible and accessible ?????.... any advice would be greatly received. ... Many Thanks

If you are renting out this property then for the sake of your tenant pay an electrician to carry out all works and certify as opposed to keeping costs down.
Thanks for the reply..... Sure I will need a spark to do the connections etc..... Will just be doing to donkey work ( chasing wall, fitting back box, pulling floorboards .. and ensuring an easy route is available by putting in draw rope etc in kitchen ceiling etc.)... Just trying to get an what connection is required so I can get to right bits. If its something they will carry then that's fine.

Reply to Connecting together 6mm cables in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net