Discuss Consumer unit Cable entry advice ?? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am installing an additional consumer unit in a garage to supply a pool pump, pool lights and garage sockets. Customer wants cables to be clipped direct. Could I use a 25mm Rubber packed gland at each board for a 10mm T&E? Would rather use trunking but customer does not want.

You can use grommets, bushes, glands with oval inserts, bonding nipples or anything else you feel is appropriate.
Entry is from the top of the consumer unit and is surface mounted. I only have 25mm round rubber pack glands.
[automerge]1590239731[/automerge]
Also customer wants outside switch for pool lights. Would I just bring a 1.5mm SWA to switch like my rough drawing illustrates?

Attachments

• Consumer unit Cable entry advice ?? IMG_2375.JPG - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_2375.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 37
Entry is from the top of the consumer unit and is surface mounted. I only have 25mm round rubber pack glands.
[automerge]1590239731[/automerge]
Also customer wants outside switch for pool lights. Would I just bring a 1.5mm SWA to switch like my rough drawing illustrates?

Glands with round inserts are not meant for T&E, you should use oval inserts designed for T&E. Why not use side or bottom entry?

If you don't know how to wire a switch then I think you should be asking yourself whether you should be doing the job at all.

I think the top of the CU has to be IP4x rated so you would need a proper gland with ovel insert, or better still enter from below.
[automerge]1590240501[/automerge]
Seems I was too slow as davesparkes beat me!

Glands with round inserts are not meant for T&E, you should use oval inserts designed for T&E. Why not use side or bottom entry?

If you don't know how to wire a switch then I think you should be asking yourself whether you should be doing the job at all.
It is not the switch that's the issue. Never installed Pool lights.
[automerge]1590240579[/automerge]
I think the top of the CU has to be IP4x rated so you would need a proper gland with ovel insert, or better still enter from below.
[automerge]1590240501[/automerge]
Seems I was too slow as davesparkes beat me!
Not possble to enter from below has to be from the top.

It is not the switch that's the issue. Never installed Pool lights.

But you just asked how to wire the switch?

Pool lights are just like any other lights as far as switching is concerned, for the rest of the installation of then consult BS7671 for the special location requirements for the lights and transformer and the manufacturers instructions.

But you just asked how to wire the switch?

Pool lights are just like any other lights as far as switching is concerned, for the rest of the installation of then consult BS7671 for the special location requirements for the lights and transformer and the manufacturers instructions.
What I mean is would the switch just need one 2core SWA to supply the transformer. essentially a feed and a switch wire. P.s I am a house domestic house bashing spark so not installed outside switches for pool lights.
[automerge]1590241517[/automerge]
I asked customer to get 25mm rubber packed glans. Guess I won't be able to use them.

You might want to consider keeping a stock of glands for various cables, for exactly situations like this, where you need a gland you don't have. E.g. a selection with flat entry grommets for T&E, in various sizes (20, 25, 32mm) as well as round ones. Plus a few SWA glands, of course. Installing or changing a consumer unit, I find you often need an unexpected type or size.

You could space the CU off the wall, and have rear entry (ohh Matron). Hager produce them for their CU's. If I recall, some other manufactures do as well. Or you could manufacturer your own.

Consumer unit Cable entry advice ?? 1590243600839 - EletriciansForums.net

Couldn't agree more. Without the ability to make a decision on what cable to use or how to gland into a board you should not he carrying out the job.

Hey guys the man is just trying to expand his skills and asking for advice from the more experienced of us. Let's help him to do that no?
That's fair enough, and we all have plenty to learn, but if you call yourself an electrician then ask advice on wiring a 1g switch, you'd expect some raised eyebrows surely?!!

Reply to Consumer unit Cable entry advice ?? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock