Discuss Dimmable LED flickering in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Smssmith

DIY
Reaction score
I have 9 led strips fitted to a bookcase which is operated by an LED dimmer switch. The lights all turn on, off and dim, but after they have been on a few minutes 3 of the lights begin flickering constantly.

Is this an issue with the lights or the dimmer switch?

Thanks

Mainly flicking on LED strips is a result of lower voltage or poor connectivity. Also flicking could be present because of issues with the driver and surely there are other reasons.

In your case i would suggest checking the driver is able to work with the driver. Since the lights works well for sometime there are more signs that the driver is the defected part.

However, it's better to re-check connections and all the circuit.

As well as LEDs that are suitable for dimming, you also need a dimmer switch that is suitable for an LED load.

It can be very hit-and-miss, even now.

I have 9 led strips fitted to a bookcase which is operated by an LED dimmer switch. The lights all turn on, off and dim, but after they have been on a few minutes 3 of the lights begin flickering constantly.

Is this an issue with the lights or the dimmer switch?

Thanks
If they are strips designed for a constant current supply, are they by any chance connected in parallel?
Could you tell us what driver you have and how the strips are wired?

Mainly flicking on LED strips is a result of lower voltage or poor connectivity. Also flicking could be present because of issues with the driver and surely there are other reasons.

In your case i would suggest checking the driver is able to work with the driver. Since the lights works well for sometime there are more signs that the driver is the defected part.

However, it's better to re-check connections and all the circuit.
In my reply above i mean checking the driver if it's compatible to be used with a dimmer!

In my reply above i mean checking the driver if it's compatible to be used with a dimmer!
Yes I got that and it's a key question.
I was on another tack about how the strips were wired.
But I guess we'll never know as the OP posted the question two and a half months ago now, and hasn't responded since 🤔

Yes I got that and it's a key question.
I was on another tack about how the strips were wired.
But I guess we'll never know as the OP posted the question two and a half months ago now, and hasn't responded since 🤔
We're here to help!!!

Reply to Dimmable LED flickering in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock