Discuss DOL Starter advice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Sank

-
Reaction score
Hi all

I would like a bit of advice to do with a DOL starter ill be fitting. Basically I'm replacing an old water damaged crabtree DOL starter with a new mcg DOL starter. The old coil was pulled in via a single channel heating timeclock and the new one will need to be too. The old DOL just had a reset button where the new stuff has start and stop buttons. Im super rusty on DOl starters and the like as ive not done any for absolute ages and none operated via timeclock. My main question is, is there a way to connect the new DOL so that the heating timeclock makes and breaks the contactor to operater the 3 phase pump? Attached are pics of the new and old gear. Thanks

Attachments

• 16083251636064774597981942799857.jpg
    275.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 16083251798153246416331140272240.jpg
    317.3 KB · Views: 16
Hi all

I would like a bit of advice to do with a DOL starter ill be fitting. Basically I'm replacing an old water damaged crabtree DOL starter with a new mcg DOL starter. The old coil was pulled in via a single channel heating timeclock and the new one will need to be too. The old DOL just had a reset button where the new stuff has start and stop buttons. Im super rusty on DOl starters and the like as ive not done any for absolute ages and none operated via timeclock. My main question is, is there a way to connect the new DOL so that the heating timeclock makes and breaks the contactor to operater the 3 phase pump? Attached are pics of the new and old gear. Thanks
What voltage was/is the coil?

The timeswitch is unlikely to be rated to switch 400V, therefore it would be normal to use a starter with a 230V contactor coil, but as per Pete999's comment you must check where the coil is supplied from (the pump circuit or a separate control circuit) and at what voltage.

For automatic control you can't use the start and stop buttons so disconnect those and the contactor's N/O holding contact.
If the coil supply L & N both come from the timeswitch simply connect L via the O/L relay N/C contacts 95/96 to the coil A1, then A2 back to the timeswitch N. If the control supply is taken from the pump circuit then the L would go via any control fuse - timeswitch contacts - 95/96 - A1.

Set the O/L reset to manual so that it doesn't keep restarting in the event of a fault and dial in the FLC.

You have obtained the wrong starter. Your system essentially has an automatic remote control in place of the green button start facility. As opposed to doctoring the one you have which could lead to confusion you need the correct starter with correct coil voltage.

The timeswitch is unlikely to be rated to switch 400V, therefore it would be normal to use a starter with a 230V contactor coil, but as per Pete999's comment you must check where the coil is supplied from (the pump circuit or a separate control circuit) and at what voltage.

For automatic control you can't use the start and stop buttons so disconnect those and the contactor's N/O holding contact.
If the coil supply L & N both come from the timeswitch simply connect L via the O/L relay N/C contacts 95/96 to the coil A1, then A2 back to the timeswitch N. If the control supply is taken from the pump circuit then the L would go via any control fuse - timeswitch contacts - 95/96 - A1.

Set the O/L reset to manual so that it doesn't keep restarting in the event of a fault and dial in the FLC.
Thank you, this makes sense. Much appreciated

You have obtained the wrong starter. Your system essentially has an automatic remote control in place of the green button start facility. As opposed to doctoring the one you have which could lead to confusion you need the correct starter with correct coil voltage.
Thank you

Reply to DOL Starter advice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net