Discuss schneider impulse relay for 3 phase switch all in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all

I am new to this forum and hope this is right placed and of interest. I would like to make a setup with one or more impulse relays, controlled with one pushbuttom. It should make it possible to switch off 3 circuit breakers in the house cabinet, all on different phases.
Schneider makes one impulse relay with 4 no contacts in one body for 16 amps. Each circuit breaker in my house is a 10 amp, so 3 x 10 amp.

It is also possible instead of one 4 pole relay, to control 3 separate relays with 1 or 2 poles each, from one pushbutton - but then 2 of them will be controlled by a phase that is not the one running thru them.

I am in doubt about several things.

1 Should I break the neutral too?
2 If the relay is rated for 16 amp, is it 16 amp on each pole?
3 Is it preferrable to use the one body solution with 4 poles, over 3 separate relays - which if unlucky can get out of sync - if one of them misses a step?

Additional info: It is a small home. The 3 circuit breakers in my home controls lighting and outlets only. There are no heavy maschinery or large motors. There are 16 amp circuit breaker for the oven, but is not included in this setup, also refrigirator and other minor survailance equipment is left out. It is meant make it easy to switch off everything meaningful when leaving the house with one button. I prefer impulse relay over contactor because of power savings.
Power is 3 x 230 V to neutral and 400 V phase to phase. 50 Hz. Cabinet is with din rail mounting. Country Denmark.

Please, any advice is very appreaciated.

Last edited:
As above, because they are 3 distinct circuits, not 3 phases of one supply, it makes more sense and is safer to have each switched separately. That also allows you an easier option in the future should you decide on differing switching policies per circuit.

As for switching the neutral, I don't know the regulations in Denmark to be able to comment. One thing that is absolutely certain is you should under no circumstance combine the neutrals for switching. If they are to be switched, they should be switched simultaneously with the corresponding line/phase conductor (i.e. using 3 * double-pole contactors, one for each L & N set).

Here in the UK it is normal for over current protection and functional switching to be in the line only, but we also have a history of a very "strong" neutral as always being close to Earth potential and verified as so as part of any testing. In France I have heard it is a requirement for protection to switch both.

As above, because they are 3 distinct circuits, not 3 phases of one supply, it makes more sense and is safer to have each switched separately. That also allows you an easier option in the future should you decide on differing switching policies per circuit.

As for switching the neutral, I don't know the regulations in Denmark to be able to comment. One thing that is absolutely certain is you should under no circumstance combine the neutrals for switching. If they are to be switched, they should be switched simultaneously with the corresponding line/phase conductor (i.e. using 3 * double-pole contactors, one for each L & N set).

Here in the UK it is normal for over current protection and functional switching to be in the line only, but we also have a history of a very "strong" neutral as always being close to Earth potential and verified as so as part of any testing. In France I have heard it is a requirement for protection to switch both.
Thanks for you extensive reply. I will certainly switch independently each circuit - and for good measures, both phase and neutral, in 3 independent relays. Thanks for making this clear.

But why not just use 3 impulse relays dobbelt pole? The power saving is around £ 20 or more here in Denmark per year - over a contactor witch has to be pulling most of the time?

Again - thanks for answer.

Does your relay system meet the requirements of isolating the generator from the incoming supply?

Thanks for you extensive reply. I will certainly switch independently each circuit - and for good measures, both phase and neutral, in 3 independent relays. Thanks for making this clear.

But why not just use 3 impulse relays dobbelt pole? The power saving is around £ 20 or more here in Denmark per year - over a contactor witch has to be pulling most of the time?

Again - thanks for answer.

If the current rating of the impulse relays is adequate then yes you can use them.

But why not just use 3 impulse relays dobbelt pole?
As @davesparks has said you can provided they have adequate switching capacity.

Take note though that if they say "16A" for example, usually that is for resistive switching (simple heaters, etc) which is the easiest of all. You have to check the de-rating to cope with loads with a high inrush (e.g. filament lamps, halogen heaters, electronic power supplies such as LED drivers or PC/TV, etc) or those that trigger an arc on opening (inductive loads such as motors, which can also have a high inrush...).

In the past the latching relays I have used are only 10A or so resistive and were not rated for the 650W of LED floodlighting (which is only 2.8A by simple computation).

TL;DR Read the impulse relay specification very carefully to make sure its rating matches not just the circuit load, but also the type of loading.

Reply to schneider impulse relay for 3 phase switch all in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock