Discuss Double switch wiring help needed. NOOB! in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I need some wiring help. I have been putting new switches on throughout the house & have had no issues with the Y block backed ones. Just copied & swapped how they previously were. But this lastest switch doesn't have a Y block it has one big block with L1-1 & L1-2 on the left hand side of the square & L2-1 & L2-2 on the right. This is confusing to a noob like me. So I put one wire in an L1 & one in an L2 & the lights worked but on opposite switches. There's 2 sets of lights in the lounge & the right switch ended up controlling the left & vice versa. So I swapped the wires around & they still control opposite lights but now one switch in down & one is up. How do I get them to work properly & both be in the same position?

Sounds like you've got an intermediate switch. You want a one way or two switch (the ones with 3 terminals/holes on the rear.

You could use L1-1 and L1-2 and ignore the others - in 1 position the circuit would be on, in the other it would be off, however you might find it easier with a 1 or 2 way switch instead.

Sounds like you've got an intermediate switch. You want a one way or two switch (the ones with 3 terminals/holes on the rear.

You could use L1-1 and L1-2 and ignore the others - in 1 position the circuit would be on, in the other it would be off, however you might find it easier with a 1 or 2 way switch instead.
Thanks for your response. Appreciate it. When I purchased it it said it was a 2 way 2 gang switch. I just figured it'd have the same Y shaped doings at the back. So put both wires in the L1's? Will try it. Thanks

So the switches are left to right, and upside down? (Off is on, on is off)?

Turn the switch upside down?

So the switches are left to right, and upside down? (Off is on, on is off)?

Turn the switch upside down?
No, the switches when I first wired it were both off is off just wrong side. Now, when I swapped the wires one is off & one is on. That's a good idea though, turning it around. Except there's this fancy thing on it which goes on the top. Guess it's not that important

Reply to Double switch wiring help needed. NOOB! in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net