Discuss EICR fail: No RCD Protection for lights etc. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

In that case the observation sheet is as ridiculous as the test results sheet.
Time to have a word with your agent, if that's the standard of testing their electrician produces.

In that case the observation sheet is as ridiculous as the test results sheet.
Time to have a word with your agent, if that's the standard of testing their electrician produces.
Can you walk away from an unsatisfactory EICR if you are unhappy with its standard and start again with a different electrician. Or are you duty bound to close out the fails on first electricians test sheet.

Both socket circuits appear to have been IR tested at 500V DC. To do that, you have to be quite sure there is nothing still connected. The one with the low IR value is typical of something still connected, I noted above mention of things like an extension block, boiler, some other FCU. Testing at 500V DC (if that was actually done) rather than 250V DC risks having blown whatever was still connected up.

There's no restriction on how often you can test an installation, and the one with the most recent date is the valid one.
So if I get another electrician who goes in and finds that those RCD issues (ie no RCD cover for lights, immersion, doorbell, smoke alarm) is c3 then I don’t need to close the c2s out from the previous report. Notwithstanding I guess that he may find issues that first guy hasn’t found. What qualification should I ensure someone who carries out an EICR has?

I think the guy who did the report is on about replacing current board with rcbo so maybe I just bite the bullet to future proof it eg. Maybe need electric car charging in future.

This one is tricky. Options are
a) Start again with different sparks, but have a discussion in advance about the previous report. When the other circuits are actually tested other issues may come to light of course. Provided the RCD works this could leave no remedial work being required.
b) Find another sparks to do the remedial work to address the issues (see below)
c) Accept the quote from the same sparks.

IF it emerges the RCD is broken, a replacement isn't exactly cheap (> £100 ) so replacing the board might in fact make more sense long term.
I may be doing the guy a dis-service but that report doesn't fill me with confidence. The idea is any sparks can understand what is wrong and provide a solution for fixing it. If it were me I'd feel I had to re-test things before I started coming up with solutions.

So if I get another electrician who goes in and finds that those RCD issues (ie no RCD cover for lights, immersion, doorbell, smoke alarm) is c3 then I don’t need to close the c2s out from the previous report. Notwithstanding I guess that he may find issues that first guy hasn’t found. What qualification should I ensure someone who carries out an EICR has?
The only real qualification needed is to be electrically competent and (of course) insured to carry out such work. However, EICR work needs more hands-on experience than many newly qualified sparks might think as it often deals with old or unusual systems that depart from what might be installed now.

I would suggest checking first if anyone on this forum is local and able to offer you their services. A proper inspection is not usually cheap as it is typically half to a whole day to do a decent job on most domestic size setup but an honest person is going to report what is really needed and not to do it superficially at a discount in the hope of making work for themselves.

If it is original 1990s equipment and you have plans for anything added in the future a new board might be a good plan is it is quite possible matching parts are no longer available. In addition you would have greater fault tolerance so if something does go wrong it is limited to a single circuit, etc. But get someone you trust first.

A failed RCD definitely needs fixing. The C2/C3 on missing RCD protection argument often comes down to the details (e.g. if for sockets could be used for outdoor tools like lawn-mower, or bathroom circuits, etc) and the spark's own judgment as to risk involved, but if getting it done then better to get it done properly and have no issues for a decade or more.

Reply to EICR fail: No RCD Protection for lights etc. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net