Discuss External socket wiring in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Sam3006

DIY
Reaction score
Hi all,

Was wondering if you could help please.

I'm looking to fit a BG IP66 external socket mainly for occasional jet wash/vacuum usage and Christmas lights at Xmas time (hence the large enclosure for the transformer plug)

Originally, I was going to use 2.5mm T&E to spur off from a 1 socket radial on a RCD protected 20a MCB with a 13a fused spur or 20a DP switch but would prefer to go from a plug now if possible.

Can I just use 3 core flex into a 13a plug instead? (socket is on same circuit as above). If so, can I use 1.5mm flex or do I need to try and fit 2.5mm flex into the plug?

The cable will go directly into the rear of the IP66 socket so it will not be exposed but will be using silicone to seal it.

Many thanks

Fundamentally yes. What you are describing is basically a semi- permanently fixed extension lead.

Don't try and fit 2.5mm into a 13A plug top though - they are not suitable for this.

Ideally the flex would be ferruled where it connects to the socket. If not then I would at least double over the wires and make extra certain they have made good contact in the screw terminals.

Either that's an expensive outside socket, or you are a miserable ***tard
Just a normal MK masterseal IP single socket I have wired in 1.5 flex poked through the airbrick at the back of the garage and plugged into a socket in there which was already installed before we moved in

Does the job and can come with me when we sell up

Yes, you are essentially only creating an extension lead and will be limited to 13a. If you buy BG be prepared for the clips on the socket to break within 12 months.

Yes, you are essentially only creating an extension lead and will be limited to 13a. If you buy BG be prepared for the clips on the socket to break within 12 months.
Yeah I've heard the BG ones are not great but the new ones are better (this one is the old style).

Do you know of any that have a large enclosure like the one I linked so I can fit a larger plug in?

Reply to External socket wiring in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net