Currently reading:
flexible conduit, CAN YOU WIRE A HOUSE WITH IT?

Discuss flexible conduit, CAN YOU WIRE A HOUSE WITH IT? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

V

vmgbarra

can I wire a house in flexible conduit and singles ?, as done in other parts of Europe, there does not seem to be any specific info in BS7671 or part P,

Let me explain further
I have 20 years experience uk trained ,i have done commercial and domestic but I have also pent a few years working in Europe and found that using a flexible conduit system gives you the abiliy to add extra circuts or switching without having to rip up floors, I hate twin and earth its nasty out of date and too rigid, especially when trying to screw back sockes

can anyone offer me any recomendations etc

Very true. There are some brutish oafs around.
I thought the OP was getting at the sort of mechanical protection that would negate the use of RCDs for buried cables, which metal flexi would not.

You don't need mechanical protection to negate the use of RCDs, just an earthed metallic armour or screen will do. That's what flexishield is for, built to BS 8436, or SWA.

You might want to rewire your house in gold cables insulated with aardvarks, as long as the regs don't say no then crack on. If you want to rewire someone else's in those materials you may find your quote puts you out of the running.
Same with flex conduit.

I should probably add that I have never conducted an IR test on an aardvark so I have no idea as to their conductivity or their value as an insulator.

0.51Mohms per meter mate. A female aardvark comes in at around 0.64Mohms per meter though. You'd be better off using platypus however, this brings in a stonking 1.52Mohms per meter on average. A cracking insulator if you ask me!

0.51Mohms per meter mate. A female aardvark comes in at around 0.64Mohms per meter though. You'd be better off using platypus however, this brings in a stonking 1.52Mohms per meter on average. A cracking insulator if you ask me!

Thanks Damian, I'm not going to ask about the circumstances behind those test results mate. I honestly think there are some things I'm better off not knowing.

All the females I've tried to test have a much higher resistance than that......someone suggested they offer less resistance in Grimsby,if anyone can confirm that I'll book a trip.

All the females I've tried to test have a much higher resistance than that......someone suggested they offer less resistance in Grimsby,if anyone can confirm that I'll book a trip.

Being not far from Grimsby I can confirm the supplied information is true. The low resistance seems to be from the amount of rods they have had installed into them.
I would however not suggest a trip there under any circumstance other than under strong sedatives.

but what about plastering over flexipipe and singles, mechanical protection is provided, is there alternative to awful t+e?
instalacion-electrica-domestica-6.jpg

Hmm, ....and why would anyone want a JB/T box in their rooms?? If you're not going to install a conduit system that is point to point then forget about it. Many of our European cousins accept such boxes and blanking faceplates in every room, but i'm pretty sure they won't be accepted in the UK!!

Reply to flexible conduit, CAN YOU WIRE A HOUSE WITH IT? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock