Discuss Going back to employment.... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

-Matt

-
Reaction score
Guys, I have been self employed for 5 years now, and TBH im not sure its for me! Too much going on, spend the evenings/weekends doing quotes/invoices/certs/paperwork, customers constantly bugging wanting things done yesterday.

Anyway one of my biggest customers which is also my favourite place of work (in motorsport hospitality coach building) is looking to take electrics "in house" and wants to offer me the job.

Since im getting fed up with my other work, I am interested in this.

We have not talked money yet....

Its not exactly the job for a standard house basher, the cable routing is fairly involved!, road lighting, data, metal fabrication work, hydraulic controls etc. Plus tight deadlines (long hours) and the responsibility of not electrocuting high value end customers!!

So I feel the going rate for this kind of work should be higher than a bog standard electrician job, plus my experience in this sector (there won’t be a mass of available electricians with experience).

So wondering what rate of pay I should ask for/expect?
The figure I have in my head is £20/hour or £40K salary.
Its in the South West.

I currently charge £25+vat per hour, which has never been complained at! (TBH I should charge more, but I enjoy the work)

Does this sound about right?

Also anyone gone from self employed and back to employed, how did you find it?

Cheers

I have no idea if this is a comparable industry

But a friend gets £35,000pa as a railways maintenance electrician

At £25 an hour self employed, even if you worked 40 chargeable hours every week, deducted holiday, unpaid sick days, vehicle, other expenses you would not be at 40k. In reality with all the unpaid hours for surveys, quotes etc....even worse. If you got 35k employed you would be better off plus so much less hassle.

So £20 per hour * 7.5 hours * 5 days * 44 weeks = £33000

If you match this as employed you will also get holiday & sick pay, plus bank holidays and a pension

How much did you make before tax last year?

FWIW £40K is on the high side for employed IMHO...

concur with above posts..go for it - anything around 35K or more.... paid holidays, company vehicle, no hassle. and far more intersting than chasing walls

FWIW £25 is far too cheap for self deployed, gardeners in my area charge that if not more...

A fully vetted fully scammed up sparks should be £30p/h bare minimum imo

But if you dint want the stress of running your own business take the £35k employed route all day long imo

Thanks guys, yes i wondered if £40K may be a but ambitious, but its likely to be long hours at times!

They usually work saturday mornings, so worked on the basis of 44 hours a week times £20 X 52 weeks of the year....

Yes £25/H is a bit cheap, when i raised my rates to £30 i left this customer at £25.

Im not sure what i actually earn at the moment as i just take a dividend whenever i needed some cash plus a £700/month salary to limit NI.
Last year i turned over £120K.

Will see what they come up with.

If this new company really want you and really like the way you work then you can probably get near the £40K mark

I know sparks who do events full time for big event companies travelling all over the UK and even Europe and they earn north of £65K

The money is there if you want it...

My advice would be to start high and accompany this with the key points as to why you are worth it... you know the installation, the people like you (I assume), you've proven yourself to be timely, reliable etc. etc. DO NOT follow the Teresa May negotiation technique; ask for nothing, relinquish everything then offer to work to for nothing !

My advice would be to start high and accompany this with the key points as to why you are worth it... you know the installation, the people like you (I assume), you've proven yourself to be timely, reliable etc. etc. DO NOT follow the Teresa May negotiation technique; ask for nothing, relinquish everything then offer to work to for nothing !

We call this the brexit strategy o_O

Matt
i
left self employment 3 years ago, i joined a company (transferred my NIC) as they had lots of long term commercial works
however, now transferred the NIC back to my own company again, as tied in to a salary just wasn't for me

hope things work out!

Matt
i
left self employment 3 years ago, i joined a company (transferred my NIC) as they had lots of long term commercial works
however, now transferred the NIC back to my own company again, as tied in to a salary just wasn't for me

hope things work out!

Thanks, well we had a discussion today and agreed on £40K Salary for 44 hours a week (with Sat morning). Working away and any excess hours will be overtime (£17.50/H).
Standard holidays etc and no company van (dont need one, its only 5 min drive from my home!)

So i think im 90% going to go for it :)

Will give it some further thoughts over the weekend.

Thanks, well we had a discussion today and agreed on £40K Salary for 44 hours a week (with Sat morning). Working away and any excess hours will be overtime (£17.50/H).
Standard holidays etc and no company van (dont need one, its only 5 min drive from my home!)

So i think im 90% going to go for it :)

Will give it some further thoughts over the weekend.

If the company are a legit you will be a fool not to take the offer

Reply to Going back to employment.... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock