Discuss Good Old Delroy, he gets all the best Jobs :) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I'm coming round to liking delroy

His practical skills are probably about par with mine , I'd be more of a theorist

He doesn't seem to be a rip off merchant either

I remember the one where he was sorting some dodgy sockets under kitchen cupboards. He routed the cables around the cupboards and up the wall completely out of any prescribed zones and called it a good job.
Love the way he reads his MFT and there is a random number, say 14.8 what is that 14.8 rabbits and it's all "cool" a joke in my book

I'm coming round to liking delroy

His practical skills are probably about par with mine , I'd be more of a theorist

He doesn't seem to be a rip off merchant either
That's some endorsement of your installation skills Mike! not ripping people off, he does that by posing as an Electrician, probably a nice bloke when he isn't bodging jobs. You sure about your statement?

Last edited:
I like him. I don't always agree with the safety or efficiency of his fault finding methods but I'd sooner have Delroy in my house than a lot of people. He leaves things safer than he found them and knows what isn't ok.
We need to remember that he does a lot of absolute bottom price budget work, and he needs to get in and out to make any money. Most youtube sparks don't show this kind of work at all.

I'd like to see him doing some higher priced work and given the chance to take his time and use the materials he wants to use. But the area he covers doesn't lend itself to that.

I think Del said in an older video that he no longer takes on full rewires or big jobs anymore as its too much for him , we have to remember that Del is north of 60 years old

He is an old skool sparks who imo is the best celebrity electrician on the web

Clean , tidy , gets the job done and moves on to the next

I like him. I don't always agree with the safety or efficiency of his fault finding methods but I'd sooner have Delroy in my house than a lot of people. He leaves things safer than he found them and knows what isn't ok.
We need to remember that he does a lot of absolute bottom price budget work, and he needs to get in and out to make any money. Most youtube sparks don't show this kind of work at all.

I'd like to see him doing some higher priced work and given the chance to take his time and use the materials he wants to use. But the area he covers doesn't lend itself to that.
I dont agree with most of what you say especially the "He leaves things safer than he found them and knows what isn't ok" because i recall a video of his where he turned a TT into a TN is that ok ?.
I've also seen jobs that he's done where he's wasted time and materials and also ended with the job looking crap.
He is entertaining and likeable, though.

dont agree with most of what you say especially the "He leaves things safer than he found them and knows what isn't ok" because i recall a video of his where he turned a TT into a TN is that ok ?.
Definitely not. I agree with you regarding that one - it certainly wasn’t handled right. Should have called DNO or investigated that earth wire that may have been an electrode.
Thinking about it there are a couple of other situations where he should have just stopped, like that former conduit mess rental.
But we do agree he’s likeable and entertaining!

I think Del said in an older video that he no longer takes on full rewires or big jobs anymore as its too much for him , we have to remember that Del is north of 60 years old

He is an old skool sparks who imo is the best celebrity electrician on the web

Clean , tidy , gets the job done and moves on to the next
He is about 65/66 years old, IMO he is the Fred Dibnah of the electrical world just old's school.

If Fred was still alive doing his steeple jacking, he would get stick with his working methods, not from me a great engineer, balls of steel to say the least.

I think his website states £50 per Half hour, so certainly not cheap !
A mate of mine in SW London charges £95 per hour , So Del is smack bang on the average London rate

You could probably charge more in certain boroughs but £100 p/h is pretty standard for a trade

So £4k a week. Very nice work if you can get it.
Its call-out so in an 8 hour day in London you probably only do 5 invoice-able hours work (and thats on a good day)

Many moons ago I did call out jobs for an electrical company in South London , it could take over an hour to get from one job to the next. Some jobs I would have to park a 1/2 mile away from the job and walk the rest as literally no on site parking.
I got bus lane tickets and parking tickets which I had to pay for etc etc etc
£100p/h is the bare minimum I would charge doing emergency call-outs in London these days

Its call-out so in an 8 hour day in London you probably only do 5 invoice-able hours work (and thats on a good day)

Many moons ago I did call out jobs for an electrical company in South London , it could take over an hour to get from one job to the next. Some jobs I would have to park a 1/2 mile away from the job and walk the rest as literally no on site parking.
I got bus lane tickets and parking tickets which I had to pay for etc etc etc
£100p/h is the bare minimum I would charge doing emergency call-outs in London these days

I remember quite a few Thomas Nagy videos in which he stated parking tickets were expected in London and it was a bonus if you don't get one.

Reply to Good Old Delroy, he gets all the best Jobs :) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net