Discuss HELP my company has signed off work I haven’t done in my name in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Doesn't seem right to me that they are signing your name on a job cert that A you never completed and B you never even worked on the job site

Can you imagine if 6 months down the line someone got a shock and died at the job and the paper trail leads back to the signature on the the cert and you end up in jail for a job you never even did
This is what I’m worried about. I’ve got a paper trail now of this issue to my boss so if anything happens between now and it getting sorted I have proof of me raising this issue. I have also found 2 other jobs signed off in my name!!

Yeah it’s not very fail safe as anyone can fill out the certs

As for the 4th year, I got a phone call while they was working on this job saying him and the plumbers are getting electric shocks from everything they touch, told them to check the houses earthing a bonding and they found the bonding was disconnected, apparently this fixed the issue

Yeah it’s not very fail safe as anyone can fill out the certs

As for the 4th year, I got a phone call while they was working on this job saying him and the plumbers are getting electric shocks from everything they touch, told them to check the houses earthing a bonding and they found the bonding was disconnected, apparently this fixed the issue
This doesn't sound right to me. Just becsuse the bonding was missing doesn't mean that they should necessarily be receiving electric shocks. Reconnecting the bonding and not diagnosing the reason why the shocks were happening could just be masking it.

This doesn't sound right to me. Just becsuse the bonding was missing doesn't mean that they should necessarily be receiving electric shocks. Reconnecting the bonding and not diagnosing the reason why the shocks were happening could just be masking it.
With or without bonding they shouldn't be getting shocks on the pipes, certainly need FI

No doesn’t sound correct to me either and the fact that someone has disconnected the bonding sounds like maybe someone already tried fixing it but not found the issue. But as I was never put on this job I cant actually get to the bottom of this but the worse part is that it’s now signed in my name and the property might still have a fault.

With or without bonding they shouldn't be getting shocks on the pipes, certainly need FI
I agree and I’m not actually sure that even fixed the issue, but he found it disconnected and then just connected it back up. Personally the fact it was disconnected in the first place would have been a red flag and would need investigating why they would have disconnected it. But sadly now that job is signed off in my name with out me looking at at and the fault possibly still on the system.

Can you in any way access the test sheets lodged from your company through NIC if that’s your CPS?
Find out how many, and then can you …. Well, I wouldn’t like to suggest deleting them…. But flag them somehow?

What about the software for producing or uploading the certs? Is there a user name and password that you can change so only you can access?

Can you in any way access the test sheets lodged from your company through NIC if that’s your CPS?
Find out how many, and then can you …. Well, I wouldn’t like to suggest deleting them…. But flag them somehow?

What about the software for producing or uploading the certs? Is there a user name and password that you can change so only you can access?
Only the recent ones accessible on the software, that’s how I found out they was doing it. Older ones can’t seem to find. But I have found copies of them on our data base so I know it’s more than one. Deleting them won’t remove them from the niceic which is what I need to sort out I guessing as I’m the last person there on paper

I knew someone who had issues with the taxman.. A client turned a simple quote into a "full house set" and the taxman wanted to know where the money from the job was . All he did was provide the Quote .It took a lot of effort to prove fraud against him. Good luck , But create a paper trail. NOTHING should be done via phone etc

I knew someone who had issues with the taxman.. A client turned a simple quote into a "full house set" and the taxman wanted to know where the money from the job was . All he did was provide the Quote .It took a lot of effort to prove fraud against him. Good luck , But create a paper trail. NOTHING should be done via phone etc
I’m employed and the company name is on top of the certificate so shouldn’t get complicated with the taxman, I hope not anyway. Yeah got a paper trail from my personal email now.
Going to talk to the niceic later and see what they say about it

You are the only tester? Which means only you carry a test kit?

So is there jobs they’re not testing at all? Or just making up values and using your signature which is saved on the software?

How badly do you need this job? Because I can see this causing a bit of a rift.

The NICEIC may not do anything other than telling the company that test sheets x,y,z etc are not valid and need resubmitted… which they’ll do without telling you again, and as far as NIC is concerned, all fine.

Saying that, is there a member on here that is registered with NICEIC and can ask them hypothetically what should happen in this case?

The company needs to send you on every job that’s been fraudulently tested and get you to do it again… however you may never know how many over and above what they might say need doing.
I don’t know if NIC would divulge that information. Ie “give me a list of all test sheets with my signature from this company”

Taking the legal route, and taking it as far as you want to go is really going to cause friction…
Losing your job, and then claiming unfair dismissal on top. Your name could still be being used without your knowledge.

NIC should be your first port of call, but unless you need this job desperately, I’d consult a solicitor.

You will need a strong mental attitude to take it as far as this. It might ruin the company.

You are the only tester? Which means only you carry a test kit?

So is there jobs they’re not testing at all? Or just making up values and using your signature which is saved on the software?

How badly do you need this job? Because I can see this causing a bit of a rift.

The NICEIC may not do anything other than telling the company that test sheets x,y,z etc are not valid and need resubmitted… which they’ll do without telling you again, and as far as NIC is concerned, all fine.

Saying that, is there a member on here that is registered with NICEIC and can ask them hypothetically what should happen in this case?

The company needs to send you on every job that’s been fraudulently tested and get you to do it again… however you may never know how many over and above what they might say need doing.
I don’t know if NIC would divulge that information. Ie “give me a list of all test sheets with my signature from this company”

Taking the legal route, and taking it as far as you want to go is really going to cause friction…
Losing your job, and then claiming unfair dismissal on top. Your name could still be being used without your knowledge.

NIC should be your first port of call, but unless you need this job desperately, I’d consult a solicitor.

You will need a strong mental attitude to take it as far as this. It might ruin the company.
I am the only person in the company that is allowed to test and inspect. But the apprentice and “operations manager” have a tester that they share for some reason. I only found this out when the job in question was being done and I asked how are they going to test it knowing full well my tester was at home.

Sadly yes my signature is saved on the software.

I can definitely see this causing drama but I value my qualifications and future a lot more than this job! And I would hate for someone to possibly get hurt from dodgy wiring.

I’m going to try and contract the niceic today and see what they say and also ask if they can tell me all the documents that are in my name, hopefully they can do this.

I have a meeting with the boss tomorrow about it all so will see what they say about it and if they will do what I asked and send me on every single job that’s been signed in my name to retest or I’m gunna have to look into the legal route just so I can cover my ---.

I can't speak for NICEIC, but if it is similar to NAPIT, all NICEIC are doing is providing a means of generating pretty branded certificates and in one sense they don't have any interest in how you use this tool, you could equally be using a variety of tools e.g. electraform or easycert etc.

I suspect the only interest NICEIC will have is:
a) any certificates you show them on an assessment
b) if any jobs have been notified to LABC in your name without you even knowing about it
c) if your membership credentials are being used by others; there could be clauses about this in your terms and conditions and they may even deem you to be the one at fault for 'allowing it to happen', as harsh as that seems.

Who pays for the NICEIC membership, you, or the company? Is the company the NICEIC member with you as the QS, or are you employed as a qualified sparks who is an NICEIC member?

I can't speak for NICEIC, but if it is similar to NAPIT, all NICEIC are doing is providing a means of generating pretty branded certificates and in one sense they don't have any interest in how you use this tool, you could equally be using a variety of tools e.g. electraform or easycert etc.

b) if any jobs have been notified to LABC in your name without you even knowing about it
c) if your membership credentials are being used by others; there could be clauses about this in your terms and conditions and they may even deem you to be the one at fault for 'allowing it to happen', as harsh as that seems.

Who pays for the NICEIC membership, you, or the company? Is the company the NICEIC member with you as the QS, or are you employed as a qualified sparks who is an NICEIC member?
The company pays for membership, and the company is niceic member with me as their qualified spark but I’ve just spoken to the niceic and they said I’m not on the software for the company as anything. I think the non qualified project manager has set him self as the QS and my signature has just been put on the software to go on the sheets

The company pays for membership, and the company is niceic member with me as their qualified spark but I’ve just spoken to the niceic and they said I’m not on the software for the company as anything. I think the non qualified project manager has set him self as the QS and my signature has just been put on the software to go on the sheets
So from NICEIC's point of view, the company is doing the work and the person they have listed as 'qualified supervisor' is taking responsibility for the accuracy of records, and will be the one they contact for annual assessments etc.
This could get quite comical, the QS gets asked for 3 jobs to assess, they choose one, he asks the sparks who 'signed the cert' to come and prove test results and you say 'I've never been there in my live guv' in front of the assessor.
The company are setting themselves up for a fall here.

Your work records can probably prove you have been nowhere near most of these installations, and I'd put a letter in writing stating that you've become aware of certificates carrying your name fraudulently. List the cert numbers you've found.

A completely separate matter is whether the QS should be a QS, but that might be a different tiger to poke a different day.

So from NICEIC's point of view, the company is doing the work and the person they have listed as 'qualified supervisor' is taking responsibility for the accuracy of records, and will be the one they contact for annual assessments etc.
This could get quite comical, the QS gets asked for 3 jobs to assess, they choose one, he asks the sparks who 'signed the cert' to come and prove test results and you say 'I've never been there in my live guv' in front of the assessor.
The company are setting themselves up for a fall here.

Your work records can probably prove you have been nowhere near most of these installations, and I'd put a letter in writing stating that you've become aware of certificates carrying your name fraudulently. List the cert numbers you've found.

A completely separate matter is whether the QS should be a QS, but that might be a different tiger to poke a different day.
Very dodgy situation . I would want a very urgent meeting and to get the boss to establish /acknowledge whats taken place .To have that witnessed/signed and then establish whats going to happen as of TODAY in regards to any other certs been issued . I would not want to be around if things did get bad and you are been "torn apart" by the system. If you are unhappy , Follow whatever HR etc guidelines say and have meetings witnessed .

I guess this sort of situation happens across the country with larger firms, and them not wanting to employ x amount of QS's. Difference is, is if your aware of the situation or not. In OP's case, would not of been happy to rely on this other persons testing, and would not sign off testing. I've had to drag test certificates out of electrical contractors doing work at my place of employment. I have some doubts whether any actual testing has been done.

As already said, if your employer doesn't agree to comply terms & conditions, which BS7671 model forms, and online software allude to, it would need the OP to consider his employment with this company.

I have a meeting with the boss tomorrow about it all so will see what they say about it and if they will do what I asked and send me on every single job that’s been signed in my name to retest or I’m gunna have to look into the legal route just so I can cover my ---.

Make notes of the conversation while in the meeting. After the meeting send an email out to whoever attended the meeting, with what has been discussed. C.Y.A. (or record the meeting on your phone)

Reply to HELP my company has signed off work I haven’t done in my name in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net