Discuss how hot can be a single phase motor ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

mike-gr

DIY
Reaction score
Hello! I have a high-pressure compressor equipped with a single phase motor! The motor have 2 capacitors, 1 continuous and 1 for starting, with a relay for isolation . The motor is old, but it's still working! I have changed the capacitors with new ones and the cable too. The motor work ok! I measure the Ampers when working under load and is always less than 12A. I attach a photo from the motor's plate. Furthermore, I let it work for 30 minutes and I measured the temperature of the motor (using a multimeter capable to measure temp) and it showed 55 Celsius. I guess the core of the motor can be a little higher , maybe 58-60!
Searching on the Internet about motors and how warm they can get, I assumed that my motor is ok! Am I right, or should I look further with the motor?
Thank you!

Attachments

• 20210117_200535.jpg
    602.1 KB · Views: 9
60 degrees Celsius is quite normal for an enclosed, surface-cooled motor working in typical ambient temperature and unless there is still some suspicion about the capacitors, or the motor is lacking torque or not starting correctly, I would not worry about it.

r
55 celsius won't even fry an egg. that's a normal temp.for a hard working motor.

The insulation on the motor windings only breaks down over 100 Celsius so 55 degrees on the outer body would be fine. Also your 12Amp measured running current is below the 13 Amp maximum stated on the info plate so I wouldn't see any problems.

The insulation on the motor windings only breaks down over 100 Celsius so 55 degrees on the outer body would be fine. Also your 12Amp measured running current is below the 13 Amp maximum stated on the info plate so I wouldn't see any problems.
Ok! That's what I thought also! The I.cl of the motor is F according to the label and so
table-1.png

and

table-2.png

the 60 C I measured is the normal temperature

Reply to how hot can be a single phase motor ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net