Discuss Lighting plan - opinions desperately sought!! in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Here is my proposed layout for my open plan studio. I'm going for recessed 6" LED smart lights throughout, with the exception of three pendants over the 6' island.

• Lights are 3' from walls, except in the kitchen where it is 2' ( ie. 12" from upper cabinetry).
  • They are spaced roughly 5-6' from each other.
  • Ceilings are 9.5' high.
  • Different colors represents the different wiring zones.
  • Dashed line between living room and bedroom will be a movable room divider
  • Grid boxes represent 1 foot.

Specs of the lights I'm looking at are: 6" LED, 65-Watt equivalent, 120 degree beam width
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Halo-4-...ng-Mount-Light-Trim-BLD4089BLE40AWH/311955904

or these which don't say the beam width:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercial-Electric-Ultra-Slim-6-in-New-Construction-and-Remodel-Color-Selectable-Canless-LED-Recessed-Kit-91242/303392574?MERCH=REC--Pip_Alternatives_Non_HDhome--306079856--303392574--N

GC says I have way too many lights here, however, I'd rather have too many than too few, with the rationale that I can always dim them. I'm scared of dead zones, weird shadows, and just generally not being able to see well!

• GC thinks two lights in the bedroom/study (orange) are sufficient, I have four.
  • GC thinks the three lights that run along the kitchen cabinet (purple) are sufficient. I want to add the two extra lights shouldering the island so that there isn't a 10' gap between the kitchen (purple) and living room (blue) lights and there's a nice evenness to the arrangement.
  • GC hates the thought of three small pendants over the 6' island. I'd rather the look of 3 vs 2.

Some external advice would be most welcome on this day of Thanksgiving!!

Attachments

• Lighting plan - opinions desperately sought!! RL_Lighting Plan.JPG - EletriciansForums.net
    RL_Lighting Plan.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 25
It's a long post but looks ok to me, the two in the study on the right hand side look too far off the wall but so long as it's just a guide they will sort that out. Also was always told to go for an odd number of lights in a line so the 3 over the breakfast bar will be right so long as they aren't massive great fittings. Happy Thanksgiving from the UK

Reply to Lighting plan - opinions desperately sought!! in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock