Discuss Lighting tripping rcd in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

yes rcd working fine.

Cant think of anything else.

I belled out the wire between the fitting and N and all was ok.
this light also dos not work ,so makes me think if i link this N up to this fitting it will give me te radial ?

what ya think ?

swap the fitting with the one that works and see if the RCD trips then if so take out the suspect fitting leaving the one that works in and terminal block where the suspect fitting was so the circuits complete less the fitting

Think methodically,the more you stress out about it,the less likely you are to find the fault and repair,so deep breath,and start by halving the circuit,disconnect all conductors to furthest point say,leave in place from ccu to that point,still trip?no,then that half is ok,then move further down circuit,i dont know how much experience of fault finding you have,but once you have found and fixed it,you will say to yourself that was easy,are these all existing fittings and wiring or has it been altered and now does not work?

Last edited by a moderator:
Having just read this thread - what testing would have put the OP on the right track more quickly?

Would continuity test at each lighting point between L and N, and then Insulation resistance tests between lighting N and all the other circuit neutrals have worked in showing the problem?

[Just trying to be prepared for when it happens to me :D]

Having just read this thread - what testing would have put the OP on the right track more quickly?

Would continuity test at each lighting point between L and N, and then Insulation resistance tests between lighting N and all the other circuit neutrals have worked in showing the problem?

[Just trying to be prepared for when it happens to me :D]

isolate power ,turn off mcbs

disconnect circuit causing problem(L and N)

switch on borrowed load

check between circuit causing problem(L :edit) to other neutrals(one by one)

until you get your reading

that should trace it-might be easier ways

Last edited by a moderator:
isolate power ,turn off mcbs

disconnect circuit causing problem(L and N)

switch on borrowed load

check between circuit causing problem(L or N) to other neutrals(one by one)

until you get your reading

that should trace it-might be easier ways

You wouldn't do continuity tests first? On a completely unknown circuit wouldn't that be the thing that would tell you about the state of all the conductors and eventually that there was a problem with the neutral :confused:

and not sure what you mean by "switch on borrowed load" (and how do you know which to turn on)

Am i right in thinking that the problem was a live from a lighting circuit to a light fitting and then returning to the CU via another circuit (socket ring?)

Eco-tech - did this fault just show after a CU change or...

had someone been doing a bit of DIY bodging?

just intrigued as to what had happened previously - cheers

You wouldn't do continuity tests first? On a completely unknown circuit wouldn't that be the thing that would tell you about the state of all the conductors and eventually that there was a problem with the neutral :confused:

and not sure what you mean by "switch on borrowed load" (and how do you know which to turn on)

Am i right in thinking that the problem was a live from a lighting circuit to a light fitting and then returning to the CU via another circuit (socket ring?)

Eco-tech - did this fault just show after a CU change or...

had someone been doing a bit of DIY bodging?

just intrigued as to what had happened previously - cheers

take this problem here where you know which pendant is borrowing -we said more or less the same thing
-first disconnect circuit

-bulb out, check between the pendant neutral(with a wander lead) and other circuit neutrals

- bulb in place and switched on you can check between the circuit phase at the board and other circuit neutrals

thats what i'm thinking,never had this problem

Cheers - Reckon i'll just hope my probs are more straight forward - Last time out it took me ages to discover that owner had put a curtain rail screw thru a cable supplying his outside lights which he hadn't used for 6 months. Should have been an easy one but not helped by faults on the garden lights as well - mistakenly thought that the problem was just outside:eek:

Reply to Lighting tripping rcd in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net