Discuss New sub board for shed swa advice. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Yes, you must connect the SWA to the installation earthing system at the supply end.
You should see that when you do your design FMEA.
I'm not an electrician but do you mean the physical connection must be at the supply end, or just that the armour has to be connected to the earthing system that protects it?
I guess you're suggesting if the cable is cleanly cut quickly enough (5s disconnection time) it may leave an unprotected live conductor physically separated from the cpc that protects it, and possibly shorted to the now floating armour.

I'm not an electrician but do you mean the physical connection must be at the supply end, or just that the armour has to be connected to the earthing system that protects it?
I guess you're suggesting if the cable is cleanly cut quickly enough (5s disconnection time) it may leave an unprotected live conductor physically separated from the cpc that protects it, and possibly shorted to the now floating armour.
One potential failure mode yes.

There are occasions when earthing the armour [when a seperate cpc exists in the cable] can only be carried out at the 'load' end and I can't see any reason why this is detrimental to safety when done correctly. I wish people would stop posting misleading nonsense. :rolleyes:
What are these occasions then?

What absolute carp.

Proper regs numbers to back up your somewhat dubious claims please

Or do we need a new rating “fake reg”
Murdoch they are proper regulation numbers, you are now just showing your ignorance.
BS 7671 is not the be all and end all.
These are the Regulations that you will be prosecuted under.
BS 7671 is your Regulation 29 defence if followed.

Hum ...

I think you need to calm down and go back and answer the original point again.

There is no law stating that swa must be earthed at the supply end ...

The question was what is the BS 7671 reg number that you believe refers this to
No your question was, what REGULATION, you actually said in post #23 "Reg number please"
Which I then gave you and since then you have been disagreeing with me.
You said NOTHING about BS 7671, you asked for a Regulation, not a clause in a standard.
Remember, Regulations are law, BS 7671 is a standard.
The numbers I quoted are the law that you would be in breach of.
Try THE, Electricity At Work Regulations 1989 (As Amended).
Also if you want clauses from some industry guidance try...
522.6.201, .202, .203, .204
IET GN8 guides you to EAWR on this topic just for your guidance.

Reply to New sub board for shed swa advice. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock