Discuss No earth in lighting in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Kavo123

DIY
Reaction score
Hi All,

This is my first post and sorry if I am breaking any rules. My wife books an electrician to come in on Wednesday who was recommended to us, it was only to add some sockets in the living room, remove an old socket that was reminiscent of an EU plug (2 prongs) and move some light fittings.

My wife bought a class 1 light fitting not knowing we do not have an earth cable, we have informed the electrician of this which he said will be fine and will look at it when he comes.

I have had a look and I cant seem to find him on the registered list, and am now wary that he may not be able to self certify the work, or worse do the work and not be compliment with building regs.

I guess my questions are
1. Is any of the work we are getting done classified as notifiable work?
2. what would a registered electrician give us upon completion?
3. Are there any questions I should ask him?

Hi All,

This is my first post and sorry if I am breaking any rules. My wife books an electrician to come in on Wednesday who was recommended to us, it was only to add some sockets in the living room, remove an old socket that was reminiscent of an EU plug (2 prongs) and move some light fittings.

My wife bought a class 1 light fitting not knowing we do not have an earth cable, we have informed the electrician of this which he said will be fine and will look at it when he comes.

I have had a look and I cant seem to find him on the registered list, and am now wary that he may not be able to self certify the work, or worse do the work and not be compliment with building regs.

I guess my questions are
2 A minor new electrical works certificate, MNEW Certificate some may dispute this, not sure about No1
3 Ask who he is registered with, and what he will recommend rearding the lack of earthing on the lighting circuit?

Last edited:
As what @Pete999 says.
Whoever does the work, should supply you with a MNEW Cert.
Ask if they will supply one on completion. Do not pay for any work done until you get one.
Get what they are doing in writing. Doesn't need to be detailed, just bullet points, so everyone knows what work needs doing, how much it costs and what cert you get.

Hi All,

I guess my questions are

1. Probably not, unless some of it happens to be in close proximity to a bath or shower, or involves installing a completely new circuit.

2. Registered or not, he should really give you a Minor Electrical Installation Works Certificate for any changes he makes to the fixed wiring, to certify that it is installed to BS7671. A cert isn't required for simple replacements, such as changing a light for another.

Your spark does not need to be registered to carry out 'minor' works such as yours appears to be, and he may in fact be a very competent electrician. Your class 1 light fitting should be earthed, maybe your spark can take an earth from another nearby circuit.

Hope it all goes well

I don't know what "registered list" you are looking on as there are a few. There is a problem with them in that the spelling and punctuation of the name are hypercritical. For instance me, as F. H. Electrical, if you searched F H Electrical or FHElectrical or F.H.Electrical you will not find me on ESF, Electrical safety register, Trustmark or Trustmark Trading Standards all of which I am registered with. The best way to check is look by postcode and see if you can find the name of the business within that. It is really annoying this is the way it works and should be more flexible in search terms but sadly there it is.

Reply to No earth in lighting in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock