Search the forum,

Discuss No power to immersion heater in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

Harry Worth

Mate asked me to look at his immersion heater that had stopped working. The tank has two elements - labelled 'On Peak' and 'Off peak'. It is the off peak one which has failed. No breakers tripped but the neon on one of the switches (off peak) is out. I've measured around the circuit - no power anywhere so I took the front off the CU to check there. There are two circuits - one supplying the immersion - no power on the input to that circuit so no power to the storage heaters either. The meter is outside his flat - How does the economy meter work. It seems as if there are two supplies entering the CU - One of which is dead. Is it possible for this to be down to a fault with the meter or am I woofing up completely the wrong bush?

My guess is that the element which is "off peak" (and probably positioned lower in the tank) has failed and as above you'll need to go back during the night to check it out. If the isolation switch has a neon, ask the client if its on during the night.

Have fun!

Do a continuity test on the circuit at the CU..(isolated)...with the immersion switched on....if all is good you will get a reading of around 18 ohms through the element,in which case if energised it will work,so look at supply problems..(this is better than a night visit in my book!)....if not work back from the element/stat..(most likely culprits).

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers for the advice That makes complete sense - My mate's a lazy g*t and never up during economy 7 time so I'd bet he's never seen the neon on.

Reply to No power to immersion heater in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock