Search the forum,

Discuss Part p schemes in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Pass, Haven't come across that prob yet. they are still happy to discuss the odd 'I dunno whats the best course of action' problem. Presume it's best to be able to say that 'I'm tested by a governing body' if you end up in a court of law if someone get injured by an installation you've tested.

Agreed, it's stupid money and I don't feel the need to get ELECSA approved for EICR's (or 2391). A good working knowledge of the regs, lots of experience and a lot of common sense should suffice.

There are people about who have passed the 2391 with little or no practical experience of electrical installations - so I'd argue that having the 2391 isn't the only requirement for being competent.

The upshot of all this is.

It doensn't matter what you are inspecting, testing, designing, constructing, installing, in the Electrical world.
The simple fact of it all, is you DO NOT need any sort of qualification to be an Electrician, you DO NOT have to join any scheme. You DO however, need to prove competence, and work safely. I don't agree with all this, but it is the facts.

Don't believe me? then read through the EAW regs, there is no mention of qualifications, just "must be competent". It is the same in the BGB, competent person, skilled person and so on, its in definitions, and again, nowhere does it mention qualifications.

Cheers............Howard

There are people about who have passed the 2391 with little or no practical experience of electrical installations - so I'd argue that having the 2391 isn't the only requirement for being competent.
According to C&G info, to be eligible to take the 2391 course and exam you have to be a practicing electrician and actively involved in I&T. So it's not C&G at fault here it's the colleges who will let anyone on the course as long as they can pay the fee. For example, when I did it the second time there was a taxi driver on it who had been told all he needed was 2391 and he would be a spark. Surprisingly enough because of a lack of the basic knowledge he failed.
Taxi driver 0 College £300.
Jobs a goodun????

According to C&G info, to be eligible to take the 2391 course and exam you have to be a practicing electrician and actively involved in I&T. So it's not C&G at fault here it's the colleges who will let anyone on the course as long as they can pay the fee. For example, when I did it the second time there was a taxi driver on it who had been told all he needed was 2391 and he would be a spark. Surprisingly enough because of a lack of the basic knowledge he failed.
Taxi driver 0 College £300.
Jobs a goodun????

Trev,

You are not wrong, but that is just guidance. The minimum requirements to undertake 2391,2394, 2395 and 2396 is that you are 18 years or older.

Cheers.........Howard

Ok Howard I stand corrected but, as a college lecturer would you be happy taking a lesson full of lads who couldn't even change a plug top?
I know it's not down to you who gets admitted but I think that the guidance from C&G should sometimes be an instruction

Ok Howard I stand corrected but, as a college lecturer would you be happy taking a lesson full of lads who couldn't even change a plug top?
I know it's not down to you who gets admitted but I think that the guidance from C&G should sometimes be an instruction

Trev,

You are not corrected, you were right in the first place, that is their advice, All i was adding, was that the basic minimum requirement for C&G was a minimum age of 18, so if you are 18 you can do the course. And no i wouldnt let anyone on my courses without experience, it is hard work enough with very experienced people, let alone those with no knowledge. I vet all applicants anyway.

Cheers.........Howard

Trev,

You are not corrected, you were right in the first place, that is their advice, All i was adding, was that the basic minimum requirement for C&G was a minimum age of 18, so if you are 18 you can do the course. And no i wouldnt let anyone on my courses without experience, it is hard work enough with very experienced people, let alone those with no knowledge. I vet all applicants anyway.

Cheers.........Howard
Newcastle college actually have an entrance exam for their 2391 course, what a fantastic idea. Gets rid of chance your arm dafties who have no chance of passing and makes lecturers and students lives easier in the long run

Reply to Part p schemes in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back