Discuss RCD Protection for submains in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Absolutely, and they should use RCD protection when they do that. As per the requirements of BS7671.
That requirement can be satisfied by use of an RCD protected socket, an RCD plug or an RCD adapter.
There is no longer a requirement to provide RCD protection to a socket, just because it might be used to feed portable equipment outside.
But there’s a requirement to provide additional protection to all sockets upto 32 amps regardless, the risk is higher the fact that you maybe using portable equipment outdoors, so as the inspector you need to risk assess and weigh up that risk.
If people are using equipment outdoors which is not rcd protected or the socket outlet they are using then the risk of danger has increased

I am not contradicting myself. If you are unaware of why sockets likely to feed portable equipment outside have different levels of danger to sockets that don’t then I am willing to help you through that but it may take some time and be a little embaressing for you. Feel free to start a thread about it and I will school you.
You might want to consider learning to read, before offering to teach.

If members cannot post comments without throwing insults then leave the thread. This is an old debate which often raises temperatures and some posts have been deleted.

But there’s a requirement to provide additional protection to all sockets upto 32 amps regardless, the risk is higher the fact that you maybe using portable equipment outdoors, so as the inspector you need to risk assess and weigh up that risk.
If people are using equipment outdoors which is not rcd protected or the socket outlet they are using thus the equipment Thein is not protected,then the risk of danger has increased
See when I do Inspections, I do them to the current edition.
Any non-compliances, I then quote the Regulation that’s not being complied with.
I don’t make up a Regulation, or borrow one from 11 years ago.

Again we have this ‘might’ rear it’s ugly head.
Should we code that someone might install a socket within 3m of a bath or shower?
What else should we code for, that people might do?

See when I do Inspections, I do them to the current edition.
Any non-compliances, I then quote the Regulation that’s not being complied with.
I don’t make up a Regulation, or borrow one from 11 years ago.

Again we have this ‘might’ rear it’s ugly head.
Should we code that someone might install a socket within 3m of a bath or shower?
What else should we code for, that people might do?
I think I’ve made it abundantly clear that I inspect to the current edition.
The fact a homeowner for example with a rear or infact any garden is very likely to use mobile equipment outdoors by plugging into a near socket outlet makes it a fact and not a ‘might ‘
A simple question to the homeowner or client about their use of equipment can point you in the right direction about how they use the installation.

I think I’ve made it abundantly clear that I inspect to the current edition.
The fact a homeowner for example with a rear or infact any garden is very likely to use mobile equipment outdoors by plugging into a near socket outlet makes it a fact and not a ‘might ‘
A simple question to the homeowner or client about their use of equipment can point you in the right direction about how they use the installation.
So that would be using mobile equipment outdoors without RCD protection, code C2.
Not, socket might be used for something outdoors code C2.

So that would be using mobile equipment outdoors without RCD protection, code C2.
Not, socket might be used for something outdoors code C2.
When did I say a C2 for anything to do with a socket outlet?
Yes I agree the context of the code should be for the fact equipment being used externally has no additional protection.

The EICR is simply that.

You are reporting on the condition of the installation not how people might use the installation.

You cannot proceed on the basis of what someone might do otherwise you would code everything at least a C2. Supposing the householder has a gardener who uses a petrol lawnmower ??.

I can see it being recommended but only if it was obvious that equipment was being used outside and certainly what you are proposing is not what I was taught.

The EICR is simply that.

You are reporting on the condition of the installation not how people might use the installation.

You cannot proceed on the basis of what someone might do otherwise you would code everything at least a C2. Supposing the householder has a gardener who uses a petrol lawnmower ??.

I can see it being recommended but only if it was obvious that equipment was being used outside and certainly what you are proposing is not what I was taught.
And suppose you ask the homeowner if they use equipment outdoors plugged into a socket outlet and they answer yes?
Inspect on the facts and ask questions if need be ,to assist yourself
Commercially,ask for any risk assessment for omission of rcd protection to socket outlets then code appropriately on whether there is or there isn’t.
Asking the client for additional information can make all the difference

Last edited:
And suppose you ask the homeowner if they use equipment outdoors plugged into a socket outlet and they answer yes?
Then that’s use of mobile equipment outdoors without RCD protection.
Not oh that socket might be used for equipment outdoors.
Inspect on the facts and ask questions if need be ,to assist yourself
Commercially,ask for any risk assessment for omission of rcd protection to socket outlets then code appropriately on whether there is or there isn’t.
Asking the client for additional information can make all the difference
Yes, inspect on the facts, use the current edition and don’t make things up.

Your point being ?
Are we going round in circles here or what?
Ultimately if the source of power for the external equipment has no rcd protection,then the equipment has no rcd protection unless they use a plug in rcd adapter which in most cases is evident or can be questioned

Last edited:

Reply to RCD Protection for submains in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net