Discuss RCD tripping when using loft socket. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

archee

DIY
Reaction score
Afternoon all,

I have an issue with the loft socket. When we moved the previous owners had a 2.5mm cable going up from the CU Via FCU however, the wiring was old and did not have earths(they cut them off).

So I decided to completely rip out the old wiring including unnecessary spur and put brand new 2.5mm cable connected to 16A mcb.

However, it trips the RCD but not the MCB. I don’t understand why.

I replaced the McB with the spare one I had laying around, was doing the same thing. Removed the mcb opened it up saw burnt marks on the inside. Ok I thought it might the MCB, so I received a new one today, same thing.

Checked previously:

All the wiring to the socket is correct!
Continuity check all fine!
Checked for Earth leakage with multimeter seems to be fine.

What else could cause this ? 😔

P.S I’m not using it for anything heavy just a 2A NAS server.

Thanks

Have you carried out any IR tests?

You obviously have some sort of earth leak somewhere as this has only started happening since introducing the new cable with a cpc, as they cut it out of the old cable it wouldn’t have been possible to trip the RCD

Have you tried plugging something else into the socket? You might find that you have a fault appliance

No
No it doesn’t trip anything when nothing is plugged in. I also used the same cable and out it (just to test) on another 20A mcb and it worked fine.
You misunderstood what I said

Try and plug something else in. Grab your kettle or anything and plug it into this socket. If it doesn’t trip then whatever you are plugging into it is faulty.

Reply to RCD tripping when using loft socket. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

An RCD keeps tripping. Please see attached photo of the board (2 photos attached). I’ll call the breakers: MCB (1) marked ‘Upstairs lighting’...
Replies
Views
I have just checked a double outlet and it trips at 18ma. It was supposed to be faulty. Washing machine had a bad heater which got replaced but...
Replies
Views
Hi, I swapped a 2 gang switched socket for a 2 gang switchless socket with usb ports downstairs. I switched off all the power to the house by...
Replies
Views
Called out to fault on RCD tripping maybe twice in a month for sometime. Did all the tests & found RCD was faulty, Refitted a new Rcd Type A which...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Been a while since I have been on here. I have been on an apprenticeship the last 3 years training in the BMS world. Taking that into...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock