Discuss Right to repair legislation in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Sounds like a great idea but there is no mention about how much the price of these appliances will go up by. I bet it's quite a bit.

I seriously question how water tight these 10 year extended warranties will be...

This is not going to help the public with saving money.
Any part changed will have to be done by a professional as it will need to be tested afterwards, or if it goes faulty they will just say that it wasn't installed correctly.

They've found a solution to a problem that doesn't exist, but will possbily be creating a problem as a result.

You can buy plenty of common spares for older machines now.
If manufacturers have to have all spares available for all machines produced from 2021, even if those spares will never be needed, then someone's got to pay and of course it's the consumer.

Anything with a new price of £150 isn't worth repairing, couple of hours labour plus a couple of parts and you'll have an old machine with a couple of new parts when you could have had an all new one.

They should rationalise the ranges of everthing.
I don't want the choice of 50 similar looking Bosch washing machines where only the programs are slightly different or 50,000 different coffee machines.

Speaking of which, I don't want any coffee machines.
And I don't want 1000 different Olive oils either, hopefullt Brexit will stop that.

Repairing appliances isn’t cost effective (unless it’s your own) As explained above no one will pay a couple hours work plus parts when you can get a new one with a full warranty cheaper.

The manufacturers need to make appliances easier to dismantle, and easier to recycle.

My parents are the only people that I know who actually still use the old local white goods repair company.
But at £165 for a basic call out it’s very expensive

In many cases would be cheaper just buy a new cheap washing machine or cooker

My parents are the only people that I know who actually still use the old local white goods repair company.
But at £165 for a basic call out it’s very expensive

In many cases would be cheaper just buy a new cheap washing machine or cooker

Jeez I need to get into appliance repair!

We need to end the 'consumer society' by stopping the importation of cheap goods from abroad. Imagine if (say) you could only buy a good quality washing machine for £1,500, rather than the £200 cheap 'throw-away' one... you'd stop creating mountains of white-goods waste overnight !!

We need to end the 'consumer society' by stopping the importation of cheap goods from abroad. Imagine if (say) you could only buy a good quality washing machine for £1,500, rather than the £200 cheap 'throw-away' one... you'd stop creating mountains of white-goods waste overnight !!

I agree, but most people want cheap now unfortunately.

most peoples logic is they can buy and use till it blows up a £200 WM then just scrap it after 18 months , then rinse and repeat...
The thought of having the same WM for 20 years and keep repairing it would be totally alien now to anyone under 40

this goes back a long time. i wound upmy TV repair business in 1980 due to customers being able to replace a faulty set ( maybe a £30 repair bill) with a brand new ine from Comet/Currys/ etc. £5 deposit and a change of address.

I always thought front loading washing machines were a flawed design anyway. All that weight of the full drum only supported by one bearing ( well two but only inches apart) maximum over stress and only a matter of time until it fails.

this goes back a long time. i wound upmy TV repair business in 1980 due to customers being able to replace a faulty set ( maybe a £30 repair bill) with a brand new ine from Comet/Currys/ etc. £5 deposit and a change of address.

It would only be the picture valve anyhow Tel. Les Laury-Jones told me.

Reply to Right to repair legislation in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock