Discuss some periodic advice please in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

academy

Hi all,
Been and done a periodic today on a converted bungalow (the lady lives there with a care team, she was left severely disabled in a car accident) that has had lots of additions done to make it suitable. Everything has to go through her solicitor for approval so this is why I want to double check and get some of your thoughts as I suspect he is going to go after the builders when he gets my list of defects.
First of all, there are around 30 12v downlights that have no enclosed connections in the loft space above, I was going to code 2.
Some of these fittings are underneath what is no staff quarters in the loft so they should be fire rated, right? well they are not so again I was going to code 2.
These lights are also smothered in loft insulation (roll type), now should I code this? Its not a wiring fault as such is it? Should I make a note on the report to get it removed?
Also in the loft space the cables are just strewn everywhere, real poor workmanship as a lot of the cables lay across unlagged hot water pipes. What would you code this as? I was thinking a 2 but at the same time the cables are not likely to be damaged as the loft space is so tiny you cant store anything in there but at the same time the heat from the pipes cant help things can it?
There is a wet room with a shower and a bath, the 12v downlights are not ip raetd but are at 2.4m but still above the bath which I dont agree with due to steam etc but understand i cannot code this as it is above 2.25 and therefore out of zones.
The bath however has a spur feeding it (its a motorized one that lowers you into the water etc) that is not ip rated but is only about 80mm away from the edge of the bath! Code 2?
Next to the shower there are 2 spurs at 2.1m high and 1.1m away from the shower (not fixed head) but a quick look in the green book says its ok as it is more than 600mm away, have I understood that one right?
There is then a summer house that is fed via a 2core 6mm swa from an unprotected 40amp mcb in the house. At the house end the gland is made off into a metal clad box with a 6mm t&e taking it into the cu, which means the armouring is earthed via 2.5mm cpc to the earth bar in the cu. At the summer house end the gland is made off into a metalclad box again but with a 4mm cpc going into the earth bar in the cu. What they have done though is then bond the water pipe in the summerhouse via a 10mm into the earth bar in the cu in summer house, is this ok? I would have thought they should have run a separate cpc to the water pipe from the house MET. Although as I type this, I have thought that if the water pipe is run from the house, it is already bonded in 10mm at that end aswell.
Anyway, in the summer house there is a metal sink with drainer, and a double socket and a switched spur are mounted about 50mm above the drainer right next to the tap! One of the movable ones so you could run the tap directly onto the socket! Code 2 or 1?
The lights in the summer house are 240v "eyeball" type downlights, again no enclosed connections and have sheets of kingspan on top and rolls of insulation aswell, code 2?

I have gone to the job direct from a night shift (got to make ends meet) so am shattered so if this dont make sense the I apologise. I am after your views before I spend the next 2 days in the big red book . I will type up the report for the solicitor by the weekend but am expecting him to take this up with the builder even though though the work was carried out some 3 years ago so want to make sure I have all my facts right. They have no certs or awareness of part p and seem concerned that they have been "had".

Obviously with the amount of code 2's and especially with the bath spur and sink issue it has to go down as unsatisfactory but would like your comments

Look forward to your comments/advice!

Cheers
(did try posting this before but got logged out as it took so long so had to redo it :mad: )

Well,with so many queries,I will kick off, one item only:)

There is a wet room with a shower and a bath, the 12v downlights are not ip raetd but are at 2.4m but still above the bath which I dont agree with due to steam etc as it but understand i cannot code this as its above 2.25 and therefore out of zones.

It may be out of zones,but there is danger in not being suitable for the environment,the lamp glass could explode with heat and moisture and cause arm to someone using the bath or shower
I would code it,and 2 at that

Just a few quick thoughts... not gospel as i havent had chance to look.

Some of these fittings are underneath what is no staff quarters in the loft so they should be fire rated, right?
Not quite sure what you mean by no staff quarters..? But the fire rating applies to new builds does it not...?

These lights are also smothered in loft insulation (roll type), now should I code this? Its not a wiring fault as such is it? Should I make a note on the report to get it removed?
I would recommend that they are fitted with insulation guards. That way you can cover them back over with the insulation.

The lights in the summer house are 240v "eyeball" type downlights, again no enclosed connections and have sheets of kingspan on top and rolls of insulation aswell, code 2?
Are you saying polystyrene sheet over the downlights..? I would be really worried about the fire risk on that and code 1 it regardless...!

Have you checked bonding and meter tail size. Im betting its not current..!

I feel for you with this one. A relative of mine had similar alterations done to their house and it was a mare what the different installers did..

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replies so far, the bit about staff quarters should have read as NOW staff quarters instead of no staff quarters! Lol. it's not a new build but are you saying that the fact that this is not a new build the lights beneath the staffs bedroom do not have to be fire rated
i thought the same about the lights not being suitable for the environment in the wet/bathroom just wanted to hear it from someone else as well. Don't know why I am worried about the solicitor it's not like I am trying to rip them off just get the feeling this one could bite me on the bottom if I am not spot on.
the ironic thing is, when they put the new board in, they did upgrade the tails, bonding etc Even the sup bonding is spot on and if anything a bit over the top!
The insulation in the summer house is the sheet type about a 100mm thick, it's not polystyrene but of a similar sort, will have to try and find out how flammable it is lol, I would have thought it would have been ok but it is packed tight around the spots.

Thanks again for the replies, any more thoughts on the rest of it?

If your worried about kingspan its non-flammable but still can be a problem with overheating the fitting.
I only know this as i wondered myself and it don't burn, I got bored waiting for me tea once. :)

The open connections ELV and the LV(240) are defo a code 2 as well . Download the esc fire preformance booklet and it gives you the reg number, it is also required for building regs( dont have the booklet to hand to elaborate more)

Reply to some periodic advice please in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net