Discuss Tow bar electrics help in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Bappi-

DIY
Reaction score
I have just fitted a tow bar to my Vauxhall Astra 1.6 sports tourer estate with a brinks kit. I wired in the indicators and both work as should, tail lights work BUT the brake lights dont. Ive checked the fuse in car thats ok the brake lights on the car work ok so what can i do to get these working. Do both sides need wiring to the red wire ?? I used snap connectors as advised but im thinking i will need to cut the cars brake wire and solder the connection, the wiring instructions frown on that tho but i dont know what else to do please HELP

I have just fitted a tow bar to my Vauxhall Astra 1.6 sports tourer estate with a brinks kit. I wired in the indicators and both work as should, tail lights work BUT the brake lights dont. Ive checked the fuse in car thats ok the brake lights on the car work ok so what can i do to get these working. Do both sides need wiring to the red wire ?? I used snap connectors as advised but im thinking i will need to cut the cars brake wire and solder the connection, the wiring instructions frown on that tho but i dont know what else to do please HELP
Bappi you will have to tap into the wire for the break lights which has no power until you step on the break. You shouldn’t have to solder anything just use wagos or wire nuts and tape them up to prevent moisture

Bappi you will have to tap into the wire for the break lights which has no power until you step on the break. You shouldn’t have to solder anything just use wagos or wire nuts and tape them up to prevent moisture
i tapped into the wire that goes to the stop light on the right with a snap block but it didnt work when brake pedal was pressed.

Pardon my ignorance , is a Brinks kit a relay kit? You may need one depending on the age of your vehicle , as in has it got an ECU?
If so you will probably need a relay kit , and not tap into the main wiring for the auxiliary wiring directly.

Pardon my ignorance , is a Brinks kit a relay kit? You may need one depending on the age of your vehicle , as in has it got an ECU?
If so you will probably need a relay kit , and not tap into the main wiring for the auxiliary wiring directly.
the kit i have doesnt have a relay with it. Would the indicators and tail lights work if the relay was needed ??

It is possible depending on the age of your car , if the ECU detects an over current it will switch that circuit off to prevent damage to the ECU .
Has your car an ECU and are the auxiliary lamps led?
[automerge]1591281411[/automerge]
It is possible depending on the age of your car , if the ECU detects an over current it will switch that circuit off to prevent damage to the ECU .
This is the usual way to add a tow bar wiring. tow bar.jpg
But depending on the age of your car you may have an auxiliary tow bar plug in the car harness.
It is the easy way to do it.

Last edited:

This is the usual way to add a tow bar wiring. View attachment 58620
But depending on the age of your car you may have an auxiliary tow bar plug in the car harness.
It is the easy way to do it.
I can’t really say but my truck is 2001 and it already has the hook up for a trailer. Does your brake lights on the trailer have a good ground, Ive seen people paint their trailer and forget to scrap the paint away for a solid ground

If the kit included the connectors in the link, the worst thing ever invented by any man or woman anytime every, then check they have cut through to the wire core.

I first encountered them over 50 years ago, they were rubbish then and nothing has changed.

I can’t really say but my truck is 2001 and it already has the hook up for a trailer. Does your brake lights on the trailer have a good ground, Ive seen people paint their trailer and forget to scrap the paint away for a solid ground
That is usually the problem with vehicle lights with a bit age about them. Sadly even later vehicles are suffering from poor cable quality .
Some of the factory connections leave a lot to be desired too.
[automerge]1591287501[/automerge]

If the kit included the connectors in the link, the worst thing ever invented by any man or woman anytime every, then check they have cut through to the wire core.

I first encountered them over 50 years ago, they were rubbish then and nothing has changed.
They are worse now , even the crimp connectors from the factors are going the same way . Everything is turning to TAT.

Last edited:
the car is 2014 so i expect it has an ecu. The kit never came with a relay box just the 7 pin plug and wires coming out of it with 2 mtrs of cable. If the ecu was to switch off the circuit wouldnt it turn off the cars brake lights at the same time as the trailer ones ?? the bulbs in the trailer board are standard not leds
[automerge]1591295482[/automerge]

This is the usual way to add a tow bar wiring. View attachment 58620
This is the usual way to add a tow bar wiring.

i have one of those from my previous car with all wiring, but probably no good with this one as different make

As @Megawatt said earlier , have you made sure you have a good earth across ,and to the stop lights at the trailer and back to the plug?
Are the four way hazards working ? And at the trailer too.
It is not conventional to tap into the canbus wiring for extending additional circuits, and I suspect it will cause damage . You need to be careful and check with the dealer and see if your model can cope with the way you are doing it .
Fitting that relay in the link is simple and will avoid any problems.

Edit to add..
Not an instruction, but have a read of this . (quick google . There will be better explanations.) How to Fit a Multiplex Bypass Relay - https://www.towsure.com/fit_a_multiplex_bypass_relay

Last edited:

Reply to Tow bar electrics help in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net