Currently reading:
Wagos etc /

Discuss Wagos etc / in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

LukeD

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
How do you find wagos for value for money etc ?

I have used connection strip blocks for years and have never worried about the costs etc !

Now these guys pop up on the radar ! I seen some other "one time " use versions as well as the lever type wego . For access etc i can see they are great .... But its the cost thing !!
What other similar connectors are worth looking at ?

cheers

same as phil7677, connection strip blocks? oh yeah those old things!!

Helacons and wagobox are always in stock in my van, hate to think of running out of them.

wagos are great, they are dearer than junction boxes, but are maintenance free, the time they save make them worth while. and the wires never pop out, unlike connector blocks

the amount of blocks i have had where the screws have snapped etc never used one since the good old fast fit solutions

Only issues i can see are

1: No test access on the Helacons ?
2.Having to cut back and trim if changing etc ?
3: Access if you need to cut a centre cable , There is not a lot of room !

Just wondering if Wago leaver types are more "user friendly" /

years ago..... i had so much to do on a friday night ! Now its paper work and a little internet !

the helacons i have, have a test point in them. the wago levers are ok aswell. if you want to get the cables out a little wiggle will do it without having to trim back

I have just bought a contractors starter pack from Wagobox Home of The Maintenance Free Junction Box, run by Ray & Paula (I think Ray is the guy who invented the WagoBox enclosure). It was £99 + VAT but after seeing a guy using them on site last week, I decided I had to get with the times. They arrived today and I have played around with both the pushfit and lever types and they seem bombproof.

I stripped some 2.5 and inserted it into the push fit and you honestly cannot pull it out, however give it a little twist and it comes out with a little persuasion. My colleague thought I was mad buying them but after a few little tests today, the time I save will pay for them in weeks.

If you are registered with NIC etc you can apply for a free demo version to see how good they are. Or for £11+VAT they have a mini kit on the website with a few boxes and a good selection of connectors to start you off.

I spoke to Ray before buying as I was a bit unsure of the cost issue, but he is a great guy who is obviously passionate about his product and also the Wago's and after speaking to him, couldn't help getting my card out.

He has also put this video on youtube :

[video=youtube;xOZDLhRyE9c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOZDLhRyE9c[/video]

Can I also just add, I have absolutely no connection whatsoever with the company, just a very happy customer!!!

i took some samples of both types on site to show the lads, one big fella said they are rubbish i could pull that cable straight out of it :D:D guess who won the wager

I see so many advantages of using these fittings . Only issue would be softer multi strand cables ?

The wago box is a excellent idea , As long as they accept the Helacon units ?

I know what you mean Phil. I thought it would pull out with a bit of force but it just doesn't seem to budge. Also I took one to bits and it's very clever how it locks onto the core so it will not weaken over years. Very Very impressed.

P.S Where are the toolbag pictures :D?????

I see so many advantages of using these fittings . Only issue would be softer multi strand cables ?

The wago box is a excellent idea , As long as they accept the Helacon units ?
I sound like a rep now, for softer stranded cables just use the lever clamp models. I have terminated cat5e into it as a test.

I know what you mean Phil. I thought it would pull out with a bit of force but it just doesn't seem to budge. Also I took one to bits and it's very clever how it locks onto the core so it will not weaken over years. Very Very impressed.

P.S Where are the toolbag pictures :D?????

:) will try to get them up over the weekend if i remember :) heads in books and laptops all the time. :)

I also use the wago's for ring testing and for R1+R2 and R1+Rn connections. However I find that the test hole is a bit too small for my probe tips even with the shrouds off, so I use two 3-port terminals rather than 2-port ones with an exta bit of cable to enable the probe connections to be made easily.

Last edited:
Only issues i can see are

1: No test access on the Helacons ?
2.Having to cut back and trim if changing etc ?
3: Access if you need to cut a centre cable , There is not a lot of room !

Just wondering if Wago leaver types are more "user friendly" /

years ago..... i had so much to do on a friday night ! Now its paper work and a little internet !

Using the push fit versions i#ve never had to cut and retrim cables if they have reterminated. Just pull and twist and they come off easy.

The testing holes on the Wagos are way too small if you are use the protective tips on your tester though

never used the wagos, just helacons. only down side of these is the 4 way are in line and bulky, whereas i think the wago 4 way are in a square and so more compact. and not seen lever type helacons for flex etc.

Wonder if the Wago leaver idea is protected and Helacon cannot ?

Will have to dive into ebay and buy a a few small boxes of each . But i really see the idea as been a good one. I hate using round connectors and having to mess about getting all the cables in neatly !

As for the Wagobox, I wonder how long before a cheaper product comes along that does the same thing? I think they still need to be 30% cheaper and make up for that by more sales etc .

I don't bother with the twist and realise versions of helleman or wago, waste of time the only version I do keep are the wago ones that except 6mm and the full lever version. Can't see the point in having two connectors when one version can do both jobs ie except fine flexes and smaller conductors such as cat 5 as Eskimo mentions.

If you want to do downlights at break neck speed Click flow connectors are faster than wago boxes

Last edited by a moderator:
I was introduced to them by a chap who i was subbing for. Was amazed so tried a few and really impressed! Bought the big starter pack from CEF and I've never looked back. Behat they cost over the regular JB's is more then made up for by the time saving. Also they are much more serviceable then regular JB's and the wago boxes grip the cable making them 17th Compliant for inside ceilings etc.

Wonder if the Wago leaver idea is protected and Helacon cannot ?

Will have to dive into ebay and buy a a few small boxes of each . But i really see the idea as been a good one. I hate using round connectors and having to mess about getting all the cables in neatly !

As for the Wagobox, I wonder how long before a cheaper product comes along that does the same thing? I think they still need to be 30% cheaper and make up for that by more sales etc .

Steer clear of ebay there cheaper from wagobox.com

I'm thinking of starting using wago's anybody that uses them my first Job i'm looking at doing is a downlight installation - 15 in one room and 12 in another - which option of the wago's would you recommend before I go and buy the full on trade pack - as I want to see how they fair up for myself.

Cheers
Ian

Thanks Amp

My local CEF have given me a better price (only by about 15p per pack on 20's) better than the wagobox website and no postage - bonus

i meant 15p cheaper per pack than wagobox.com - basically i mailed my account manager playing dumb and asking if they stocked the same or equivalent and could they provide a price if i was to buy from cef and came back at 2.27 per pack of 20 including vat so i can't really grumble - provided a price for a 100pack and it worked out more expensive than me buying 5packs of 20 lol

I have never even heard of these. Do they not weaken over use?
I thought the same thing and had been putting off buying them for years. I was also put off by the price compared to 15a terminal strips etc. However now I have a full set of these I would never go back. I have had a go at weakening them by inserting cable and forcefully removing it dozens of times but they still grip like new. Looking at the push fit ones, they don't seem to rely on springs etc that would normally weaken over time.
Wasn't too sure about the WagoBox either but bought a few dozen of those and again am very impressed. Give Ray a call as he seems to be a very cool guy who can help with how to use etc.

Does he do a full starter kit ? would be good to have 10 of each and 4 boxes etc just to try . If i am going to start using them... Its only worth buying a good order to get a good price ? Initial introduction cost low, then customer for life etc

Reply to Wagos etc / in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back