Discuss What is the best wall chaser? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Yesterday my assistant first fixed this believing it was going to be dot and dab. It wasn't - the room is so narrow that the plasterer decided to float it out instead, so about 13mm once skimmed.

1708803973747.png

The plasterer wanted to finish off this last room this morning.
So last night I found myself working, and using the Metabo I sank the boxes in 15mm. I arrived at 6:30pm. I was at the pub by 7:40pm.
1708804194354.png

1708804251366.png

Pretty much every downstairs wall here is floated out in plaster. I've comfortably chased 25mm round conduit to a good depth with the Metabo. Worth mentioning the triple blade is a bit slower than most folks would be used to with a twin blade, but worth every extra moment when it leaves a nice clean chase ready for cables.

I have a an old sparky twin blade, think its about 11-12 years old now. still does a fairly straight chase

Pretty much every downstairs wall here is floated out in plaster. I've comfortably chased 25mm round conduit to a good depth with the Metabo. Worth mentioning the triple blade is a bit slower than most folks would be used to with a twin blade, but worth every extra moment when it leaves a nice clean chase ready for cables.
The triple blade is indeed excellent. I factor in a new triple blade every 3 rewires, not always required but they can be rock hard bricks that eat them quicker.
I regularly completely sink 25mm boxes in with it, and at max setting with extra patience (letting the tool do the work at its own speed) I've sunk 35mm in too.
The best think is how neat the chases look, and how the plumbers bolster and chisel effort looks so sloppy in comparison! A couple of customers have commented that electricians seem to take more pride in the things that remain unseen than other trades on the basis of some neat metabo work!

I bought a Parkside chaser from Lidl to do a one-off job. Works a treat and only cost me £80. Appreciate if you chase walls a lot (I don't) then a Metabo or Dewalt is going to last a lot longer but think - I can buy 5 or 6 Parkside chasers for the price of one. Food for thought....

I bought a Parkside chaser from Lidl to do a one-off job. Works a treat and only cost me £80. Appreciate if you chase walls a lot (I don't) then a Metabo or Dewalt is going to last a lot longer but think - I can buy 5 or 6 Parkside chasers for the price of one. Food for thought....

I do very little chasing, but managed to destroy two cheap chasers, one of which was Parkside. The motor simply couldn't cope with the force required to turn two disks at a depth of 35mm. It was some time back, but I think the Parkside chaser coped with a full rewire and about half of the next. Good enough for a couple of chases here and there, but not a couple of hours solid use.

Reply to What is the best wall chaser? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net