Discuss When does 3 phase supply become 230V in domestic consumer unit? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I know you say 3 phase is iut of your remit but all new supplies from WPD are going to be 3 phase as standard from now on.
Could be a chance grow your skillset.
Assuming there is capacity on the supply (check with dno) even if offered 22kw few cars charge above 7kw on ac anyway
Then fit a few.henley blocks after the isolation switch by the meter and run a small consumer unit for the ev.
Main switch plus mcb will do a 22kw zappi. Can fit 3 ct clamps to monitor the load.
Depending in cable route you may need to factor in rcd protection.

I know you say 3 phase is iut of your remit but all new supplies from WPD are going to be 3 phase as standard from now on.
Assuming there is capacity on the supply (check with dno) even if offered 22kw few cars charge above 7kw on ac anyway
Then fit a few.henley blocks after the isolation switch by the meter and run a small consumer unit for the ev.
Main switch plus mcb will do a 22kw zappi. Can fit 3 ct clamps to monitor the load.
Depending in cable route you may need to factor in rcd protection.
Agree, however we are getting more and more cars able to take in excess of 7.4kW, just a year ago there were very very few, but within the last year alone Renault, BMW, telsa and BYD have all introduced 11 or 22kW chargers within their cars.

Over the short time EVs have developed they have gone as standard from 2.3kW through 3.6kW, 7.4kW, and now 22kW.

I would expect within the next year or so pretty much every new EV will have the capability of greater than 7.4kW.

They have to really, because as smart control starts operating, it will shut down for periods, so EVs won't be able to rely on low rates for long times.

In spite of having been in the business for over half a century, working on mainly farm and rural domestic, I can count the number of clients I've had with three phase supplies on the fingers of my hands, possibly one hand. Until a few years ago, when the main 11kV trunk had a third wire added to it, I lived in the middle of about a hundred square miles of three phase desert. To this day, most of the branches off of the trunk, including my own, are only two wire.

With regards to the multiple meters in the property in question, I suspect this is similar to what I have with my own holiday cottages. Under normal operation, with 'tenancies' in the various properties being either one or two weeks, the sub meters aren't read, with the landlord picking up the tab for the whole supply, but occasionally you get a longer tenancy, such as a winter let, or, as I had once, someone moving to the area for three months to search for and buy a property, and then the sub meters are read (or card meters programmed 'on', in my case).
I also have sub meters around the place for the hot tubs, industrial tumble drier and the EV point, just so I can keep tabs on what these things cost to run.
For these reasons, I'd ensure that the EV charger goes onto its own meter,whether single or three phase.

What do you mean? What's crude about it? You've got to split somewhere.
All single phase supplies originate from 3 phase.
How do you connect a 3ph load when only single is required.
Any block of flats, for instance, is fed similarly, with single phase to each property. Balancing phases is a job for the designer.
Obviously, millions of single phase circuits come from 3 phase boards.
What's wrong with a single phase board in a factory, say, where required?
I was probably generalizing and I take your points

In the factory situation you generally distribute in 3P

The concern where you split at the origin is that the loads are unbalanced .That board in the pic looks well loaded.

Agree, however we are getting more and more cars able to take in excess of 7.4kW, just a year ago there were very very few, but within the last year alone Renault, BMW, telsa and BYD have all introduced 11 or 22kW chargers within their cars.

Over the short time EVs have developed they have gone as standard from 2.3kW through 3.6kW, 7.4kW, and now 22kW.

I would expect within the next year or so pretty much every new EV will have the capability of greater than 7.4kW.

They have to really, because as smart control starts operating, it will shut down for periods, so EVs won't be able to rely on low rates for long times.
Agree with you, a lot of what we are fitting now, will within 18-24 months be out of date. My Kona EV has 11 kw charge function on board. My charger on wall is 7kw.
It reminds me of the growth in computer specs in the late 90s, early 2000s, memory, processor speed and storage were growing at ever quicker rates.

Several years from now I think there will be a much better OCCP and communication between different brands, the grid and smart functionality in general. coupled with links to the cloud, you will I think see major advances in the way chargers integrate with the grid at local level according to demand.

Reply to When does 3 phase supply become 230V in domestic consumer unit? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock