Discuss When does 3 phase supply become 230V in domestic consumer unit? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Which raises an important question - which metered supply is the EVCP to be connected to?
I don't think the owner would be too fussed which meter it comes off, but I would certainlt discuss it before making a decision.
Is the job for the property owner? If so, you could always install a small single phase CU as a 'Landlord's supply'. Doesn't seem to be one, from the photo.
Yes, its for the owner. What do you mean 'landlords supply'? Actually, I may not be understanding your question properly. It is for the owner, but it will be used by the customers.
Any spare ways on the MG board, just above the intake? If possible I would seriously consider fitting a 3ph EVCP if the facility is there for future expansion and rapid charging.

Three phase is easy enough to work on you just need to remember the full safe isolation process which has a few more steps than single phase.

3 Phase installations test to confirm that there is no voltage between:

• L1 and L2
  • L1 and L3
  • L1 and Neutral
  • L1 and Earth
  • L2 and L3
  • L2 and Neutral
  • L2 and Earth
  • L3 and Neutral
  • L3 and Earth
  • Neutral and Earth

When energised you should see voltage between earth and neutral:

L1 - 230V
L2 - 230V
L3 - 230V

Line to line you should see:

L1 - L2 - 400V
L1 - L3 - 400V
L2 - L3 - 400V

To get single phase from three phase all you do is connect to one of the phases and use the neutral.
I do understand safe isolation of 3 phase, but when you guys start talking about 'out of phase, star and delta etc' I am lost. If I don't understand something as basic as that I don't think I should be adding to the 3 phase part of it. However, it does sound as though a 3 phase EVCP would be a better option for the owner. I'll make him aware of that so he can look elsewhere if he chooses.

Generally it looks a neat and well done installation.

The 300mA RCD for agriculture areas (special area for fire protection, don't have regs to hand) is not needed for your EV supply, but if for any reason you are taking the power from one of those unused fused-switches you need at least a 30mA A-type RCD as well so it is selective with the up-fornt RCD (I am assuming here it is a delay type, it should be...). But check if the EV model need a B-type for DC leaks.

Who is paying for the use of the EV charger?

I ask as there are lots of meters, and it is not obvious who pays for what. It is probably the site owner who pays the main 3-phase meter bill on the right, but after that?

Even if it is that person, if there is a spare single meter & fused-switch that can be used they might like the visibility of the EV use to be shown.
The owner would be paying. The EVCP would be for use by the customers.
Looking at the spare meters, they look like a good choice! if indeed they are spare, and the cables are not hidden behind. I wish I'd taken a peek.

Generally it looks a neat and well done installation.

The 300mA RCD for agriculture areas (special area for fire protection, don't have regs to hand) is not needed for your EV supply, but if for any reason you are taking the power from one of those unused fused-switches you need at least a 30mA A-type RCD as well so it is selective with the up-fornt RCD (I am assuming here it is a delay type, it should be...). But check if the EV model need a B-type for DC leaks.
Yep, happy with all the RCD requirements. That's one thing I do understand. More so after your 'blinding' experiment. ?

The owner would be paying. The EVCP would be for use by the customers.
Looking at the spare meters, they look like a good choice! if indeed they are spare, and the cables are not hidden behind. I wish I'd taken a peek.
Check with the owner about the meter use in case not all are wired up.

You probably have space to the left to add another meter (if owner wants one), wiring is much as they are done already and probably a spare way or two on the existing Henley blocks for putting in the new L & N tails. Ideally try to get the same makes & models so it all looks consistent and works in the same sort of way.

Just be very sure you don't use two of the L blocks or you will see 400V! As explained above L-L is nominally 400V and L-N nominally 230V so it is which pair of cables you use.

Edit to add: The tails look colour coded with tape, but the N blocks are obvious as there are two cascaded to have enough holes to fill (oh-err) as 6 single phase means 2 per phase and 6 per neutral block. Might be worth checking with a clamp meter or looking at loads to select a phase that is lower loaded to keep the 3 in a better balance when EV on.

Last edited:
Check with the owner about the meter use in case not all are wired up.

You probably have space to the left to add another meter (if owner wants one), wiring is much as they are done already and probably a spare way or two on the existing Henley blocks for putting in the new L & N tails. Ideally try to get the same makes & models so it all looks consistent and works in the same sort of way.

Just be very sure you don't use two of the L blocks or you will see 400V! As explained above L-L is nominally 400V and L-N nominally 230V so it is which pair of cables you use.

Edit to add: The tails look colour coded with tape, but the N blocks are obvious as there are two cascaded to have enough holes to fill (oh-err) as 6 single phase means 2 per phase and 6 per neutral block. Might be worth checking with a clamp meter or looking at loads to select a phase that is lower loaded to keep the 3 in a better balance when EV on.
Thanks PC. That all makes sense. Yes, it is obvious which is the neutral, plus I can test to make certain.

A 'Landlords supply' is separate from all the tenants, who have their own meters. It is generally used for essential circuits in multi tenanted buildings like stair case lighting, outside lighting or other maintenance/cleaning facilities, available. Maybe even fire alarm supply or emergency lighting.

I don't think you'd have much problem picking up for a single phase DB.
That MG board might be interesting, Solar involved but it has a mains 3 phase supply, by the looks.

Remember, even if it's for the tenants, one of them won't want to pay for it, if it's for all.

Last edited:
But at which exact point does it change from 400v to 230V? How can it decrease in voltage without a transformer? I think this last question is also the answer to your question Julie ?

ps.. I'm assuming the 3 phase CU in the picture below is fed from the switched fuse (A) (single phase). How can it be a 3 phase board? Is it a 3 phase board? It looks like it only has a 2 pole isolation switch. I'm guessing it's actually single phase?

View attachment 90321

Wow if you honestly don’t know how to get single phase from a 3 phase supply you shouldn’t be let loose near electrics

btw the isolator in the db is only 2 pole so my gues would be that it is a 3 phase db with a single phase conversion kit

Wow if you honestly don’t know how to get single phase from a 3 phase supply you shouldn’t be let loose near electrics

btw the isolator in the db is only 2 pole so my gues would be that it is a 3 phase db with a single phase conversion kit
Nice one chap, useful stuff as always.

But at which exact point does it change from 400v to 230V? How can it decrease in voltage without a transformer? I think this last question is also the answer to your question Julie ?

ps.. I'm assuming the 3 phase CU in the picture below is fed from the switched fuse (A) (single phase). How can it be a 3 phase board? Is it a 3 phase board? It looks like it only has a 2 pole isolation switch. I'm guessing it's actually single phase?

View attachment 90321

As has been said previously, the normal supply in the uk is 230/400V

Each of the three lines is 230V when measured between line and earth/neutral
BUT measure between lines you will get 400V.

This is part of your basic training, you probably ought to re-familiarise yourself with it if you are dealing with a site which has three phase.

If you have a 32A supply available, you could fit a single phase EVCP connected to any one of the three phases and neutral - this would charge at 32A or 7.4kW, obviously you would need a supply cable - either 2 or 3 core SWA usually (3c if you need the earth at the charge point).

If you use a three phase charge point this would charge at 32A per phase, so 22kW in total, in this case you would need a 4 or 5 core SWA (5c if you need the earth at the charge point). A 3ph charge point is around £100 more expensive than a single phase, but can charge up to 3x as fast.

Look in the standard charge cable connector - there are 5 main contacts and two small - the 5 main are the three phases, neutral and earth (be it from the supply or a specific TT for the EVCP).

The vehicle charger itself (in the vehicle) determines from the two small contacts what the maximum charge current is and then takes up to the limit of the charge point or the charger itself.

So some cars have a max of 6.6kW
  • if you connect it to a 16A 1 ph EVCP it would charge at 3.6kW
  • if you connect it to a 32A 1 ph EVCP it would charge at 6.6kW
  • if you connect it to a 32A 3 ph EVCP it would charge at 6.6kW

Some other cars have a max of 11kW
  • if you connect it to a 32A 1 ph EVCP it would charge at 7.4kW
  • if you connect it to a 32A 3 ph EVCP it would charge at 11kW

Some other cars have a max of 22kW
  • if you connect it to a 32A 3 ph EVCP it would charge at 22kW

I would always try for the largest I could, because more and more cars will be able to handle the larger values as time goes on.

The work is exactly the same - run the cable connect in the EVCP end and connect (Via a RCD/RCBO if specified) into the supply - usual methods be it single or three phase.

As has been said previously, the normal supply in the uk is 230/400V

Each of the three lines is 230V when measured between line and earth/neutral
BUT measure between lines you will get 400V.

This is part of your basic training, you probably ought to re-familiarise yourself with it if you are dealing with a site which has three phase.

If you have a 32A supply available, you could fit a single phase EVCP connected to any one of the three phases and neutral - this would charge at 32A or 7.4kW, obviously you would need a supply cable - either 2 or 3 core SWA usually (3c if you need the earth at the charge point).

If you use a three phase charge point this would charge at 32A per phase, so 22kW in total, in this case you would need a 4 or 5 core SWA (5c if you need the earth at the charge point). A 3ph charge point is around £100 more expensive than a single phase, but can charge up to 3x as fast.

Look in the standard charge cable connector - there are 5 main contacts and two small - the 5 main are the three phases, neutral and earth (be it from the supply or a specific TT for the EVCP).

The vehicle charger itself (in the vehicle) determines from the two small contacts what the maximum charge current is and then takes up to the limit of the charge point or the charger itself.

So some cars have a max of 6.6kW
  • if you connect it to a 32A 1 ph EVCP it would charge at 6.6kW
  • if you connect it to a 32A 3 ph EVCP it would charge at 6.6kW

Some other cars have a max of 11kW
  • if you connect it to a 32A 3 ph EVCP it would charge at 11kW

Some other cars have a max of 22kW
  • if you connect it to a 32A 3 ph EVCP it would charge at 22kW

I would always try for the largest I could, because more and more cars will be able to handle the larger values as time goes on.

The work is exactly the same - run the cable connect in the EVCP end and connect (Via a RCD/RCBO if specified) into the supply - usual methods be it single or three phase.
I know what you're saying but there's no doubt, with his experience, HHD should know the vast majority of that. Let's face it, he's been a forum member for 10 years.

I know what you're saying but there's no doubt, with his experience, HHD should know the vast majority of that. Let's face it, he's been a forum member for 10 years.
As in the first post, I have stuck rigidly to domestic electrics. I have always declined any work to do with 3 phase because, as a domestic installer, we should not be touching commercial/industrial 3 phase etc. My instinct was to immediately decline this job, however I thought I'd chat through with you guys and see if if there was a simple way to use 230V (which it seems there is). This I understand.

I may yet still walk from this one, but I'm now erring towards doing it as it seems it will all se 230V.

As in the first post, I have stuck rigidly to domestic electrics. I have always declined any work to do with 3 phase because, as a domestic installer, we should not be touching commercial/industrial 3 phase etc. My instinct was to immediately decline this job, however I thought I'd chat through with you guys and see if if there was a simple way to use 230V (which it seems there is). This I understand.

I may yet still walk from this one, but I'm now erring towards doing it as it seems it will all se 230V.
To tell you the truth, I don't see where 3 phase comes into it. You're installing single phase.
It seems the problem, from your point of view, is whether it is 'domestic' or not....the very first point you made.
It's down to you, but knowing, to some extent, the way you seem to regard your position and work, I wouldn't object in the slightest to you carrying the installation.
If you're worried, have a look at your company insurance, maybe.

No dont walk unless the route from that room to the charge point is full of Bramble and thistle, lol - seriously you have fallen on a gem. 3 Phase is generally 4 wires, 3 X Line, 1 X Neutral, you only get 400 (actually more like 420V if you put you tester between 2 of the lines, you get 240V between any of the lines and Neutral.
So when you come to start if not sure what is what test the voltages and polarity which you would do anyway for a Sp install. Typically the Phase lines are coloured Brown, Black, Grey. Neutral is Blue (dont ask, its a long story) or if you still cannot figure it out, follow the cables from the service head. The three on the left above the fuse carriers are the lines and the one on the right which does not have a fuse is the Neutral.
Seriously man, TP does not get easier than this install, you gotta start somewhere

Not sure if it's been said before but the only real worry you should have with the 3 phase in this scenario is which phase to use. A quick check on the main tails (around main meter/isolator) with a clamp meter should give you an idea.

Whether to come off of one of the already metered (& seemingly unused) supplies or come direct from the henleys and possibly include your own seperately metered supply is a question you'd need to put to the client.

Yet to come across a farm electrical system as well laid out as this, with plans too!

HHD: I'll recommend a simple exercise to consolidate your visualisation of the voltage relationships: Draw a phasor diagram for yourself.

Mark a point in the middle of a piece of paper. That will be the neutral point.

Draw three lines radiating from it in a Y, 120 degrees from each other (the angles need to be fairly accurate.) These are the phasors that stand for the voltages of the three supply lines - L1, L2 and L3 - relative to the common neutral point.

The 120 degree angles represent the phase angles between the sine waves of the three phases. In essence, how far through a cycle of the sine wave L1 has got, by the time L2 starts, and so on. Because it is a 3-phase system, three times the phase angle makes one complete circle of 360 degrees, i.e. the phases are 120 degrees apart.

The length of each phasor represents the voltage from line to neutral. so make them represent 230V using some convenient scale such as 100V per inch, (which would make the phasors 2.3 inches long.)

Now measure the distance between the ends of any two phasors, representing the voltage between any two line conductors of the 3-phase system. Convert the length back to volts using the same scale.

That's where the 400V comes from.

Reply to When does 3 phase supply become 230V in domestic consumer unit? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock