Currently reading:
When does a domestic property need a rewire ???

Discuss When does a domestic property need a rewire ??? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
see a lot of different threads on here , where people asking for advice on old installations , one tonight even about moving sockets installed in the70’s in metal conduit and 2 core cable
It’s a funny game where not every one thinks the same , know wiring lasts a long time but the accessories get worn , make bad connections to plugs , lamps , switches etc
Personally I’m quite quick to advice a rewire , not for my personal gain tbh
Just wanted to know at what point other people advice a rewire

This is an interesting read. It's been suggested that I rewire my property. The original part of the property is old colour wires on a not at all modern CU. I was under the impression that old colour wires were fine as long as old colour wires were used for any additional sockets i.e. not mixing and matching
I was sold on the idea/fear after hearing my property has no earth.
Now, how does this fit in with the discussion? Apart from don't touch anything metal and connected to electricity...

This is an interesting read. It's been suggested that I rewire my property. The original part of the property is old colour wires on a not at all modern CU. I was under the impression that old colour wires were fine as long as old colour wires were used for any additional sockets i.e. not mixing and matching
I was sold on the idea/fear after hearing my property has no earth.
Now, how does this fit in with the discussion? Apart from don't touch anything metal and connected to electricity...
it's perfectly fine to mix old and new colour cables. in fact, we're not allowed to use red/black anymore. a sticker is placed on the CU indicating 2 versions of colours used.

the only way to determine if a rewire is needed is to get the installation inspected and tested. you would then receive a consition report (EICR) with recommendations for any improvements required.

Here's the report, which doesn't look that bad...
There's some stuff that obviously needs doing, but I'm not so sure on a rewire now
P1
37705740476_87dd303582_b.jpg

P2
37083841863_719c149fc7_b.jpg

P3
37705740126_184026daed_b.jpg

P4
37754203461_1de401b98d_b.jpg

P5
37722502202_ae6ed2827d_b.jpg

P6
37083841643_89d1f5f454_b.jpg

Mmm some thing doesn’t add up there with the earths and loop readings , also ins res to earth
Some of his comments are hard to make out , writing should be a bit clearer
I’d also guess installation older than 25 years , but it is a rough estimation

Personally looks like a rewire to me , safety , investment , that’s my personal opinion
But hey it could also have a few improvements and be fine for years to come , that’s why I started this thread
Perfect example for the thread

He's in my neck of the woods. I would not be surprised at a lack of earthing conductor. Most service heads never had the facility and there are plenty still without.

Still, the wrong codings ring alarm bells as to the legitimacy of the report.

Andy78, I see you are in Hull!
He's in my neck of the woods. I would not be surprised at a lack of earthing conductor. Most service heads never had the facility and there are plenty still without.

Still, the wrong codings ring alarm bells as to the legitimacy of the report.
I am in your neck of the woods. Are you busy tomorrow morning or next Wednesday morning for a second opinion?

My feelings are, if it's dangerous, then rewire. But as the point of this thread is about why rewire when the installation is in good condition, and the points raised in the EICR are an easy fix, is there really a need. As stated above, this is a good case study.
Anyway, I've asked for a second opinion from Andy78 and we'll go from there

Is this your house John
Is the house going to have refurb , kitchen , boiler , outside lights , electric smokes , extra sockets ( 8 doesn’t seem a lot this day and age ) , shower
Our demand for electric appliances has massively changed in the last 30 years and is changing at a fast rate
Just a bit of food for thought

It is my house, I moved in a few weeks ago. Although to look at it you wouldn't guess!
I am having CH fitted within the week and then the usual decorating and updating of the kitchen. Having the CH fitted would be an ideal opportunity to put in additional sockets and you mentioning outside lighting has got me thinking

So already your into new DB (mains ) upgrade bonding , new kitchen (separate ring ) extra sockets in every room , new boiler supply and stat , outside lights , smokes ( pending on how much you value yours and family’s life )
While your ripping house apart and full redecoration and plastering i’d Bite the bullet and do full rewire

So already your into new DB (mains ) upgrade bonding , new kitchen (separate ring ) extra sockets in every room , new boiler supply and stat , outside lights , smokes ( pending on how much you value yours and family’s life )
While your ripping house apart and full redecoration and plastering i’d Bite the bullet and do full rewire
I have one wired and two battery smokes
It's interesting how this thread is unfolding

Yeh interesting one this and no one can force you either way , so final decision will be yours
Unlike a car MOT electricians can only really advice you on what they personally think best obviously highlighting potential dangers ( if you have chosen a good electrician )

Reply to When does a domestic property need a rewire ??? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock