Discuss Why wouldn't a volt pen pick up voltage? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Well I'm confused ! 🤔

Just went to isolate some kind of antique shower pump thingy in a bathroom for a plumber mate but the switch to it in the bathroom was painted over several times so I couldn't get my voltage tester with probes on it. So I used my non touch volt pen on the switch and the cable going into the switch which showed 230v power.

I isolated what I suspected was the power supply in the basement - an old wylex isolator. Tested the bathroom switch again with my volt pen and 0 volts - Fair enough. That would suggest the isolator was the right call.

Thing is though, When I tried my volt pen at the cable at the isolator (as a whole and also each individual conductor in the isolator) I got no voltage displaying on my pen - with the isolator energised or not. I checked the fuse in the isolator which is fine.
I retried my voltage pen on the switch in the bathroom with the isolator energised / not energised, with the same results.

SO, why am getting a reading with my voltage pen from the bathroom switch and cable at the bathroom switch, but not getting a reading at the isolator outgoing cable??

I'm going to have to return when I have more time to smash open the switch and do more substantial tests cos I like this plumber but I'm still at a loss on why this be...

View attachment 98641
The short answer is , don't use a volt stick/pen when testing for safe isolation purposes,

UPDATE:
I went back, Isolated both at the Memspan switchfuse (thank you Lucien) and also at the main CCU (as an additional percaution), used my volt pen on the painted over switch in the bathroom, smashed the bloody thing open with my hammer, and did dead/live testing for real with my voltage tester before ripping it out. It was indeed the Memspan fuse. I still can't believe I haven't knowingly come across one in the past. Learn something new every day 😊

Cheers guys

UPDATE:
I went back, Isolated both at the Memspan switchfuse (thank you Lucien) and also at the main CCU (as an additional percaution), used my volt pen on the painted over switch in the bathroom, smashed the bloody thing open with my hammer, and did dead/live testing for real with my voltage tester before ripping it out. It was indeed the Memspan fuse. I still can't believe I haven't knowingly come across one in the past. Learn something new every day 😊

Cheers guys

You opened a switch up with a hammer?

(Best Obi-Wan Kenobi voice)

“Young Padawan, you are now the Master”

You opened a switch up with a hammer?

(Best Obi-Wan Kenobi voice)

“Young Padawan, you are now the Master”
Read the post - It had been painted over several times (including the actual toggle). I could have tried breathing on it to melt the paint away but a hammer seemed quicker

I ought to have used my club though - Caaaaaaaaaptain Caaaaaaaavemaaaaaan 😄

who needs a chisel?

Why wouldn't a volt pen pick up voltage? 1662964828909 - EletriciansForums.net

Reply to Why wouldn't a volt pen pick up voltage? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock