Currently reading:
3ph Mot bay - advise much needed!!

Discuss 3ph Mot bay - advise much needed!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all, I would like some advise on a job i am about to undertake, A large industrial unit being used as an mot garage with an incoming 3ph supply of 63A. The client has ramps and testing equipment which totals 97A (this is adding together the various A ratings printed on the motor plates of each piece of equipment) along with a ring final circuit and a good chunk of flourecent tubes this puts it at well over 100A. Im not sure of the diversity allowance on this kind of install but i know all machinery will not be used at the same time. I think Its going to be a case of having a bigger supply fitted but would like to know how to put the wheels in motion and how big i should/can go

Thanks in advance guys an gals

You need to make your own assessment of diversity for this installation.

How often will more than one ramp be operating at once?
What kit is there other than the ramps? And how often is it likely to be used?
I think its fair to assume there is going to be a compressor in there somewhere, but again that's going to be cycling on and off all day.

I'd be surprised if, based on what you've said so far, you need more than the 63A. But without all the information how could I say for sure?

the 97A is across all 3ph not per Phase, there is a compressor in there which is on a 20A supply. The 97A is across all the equipment which is 6 ramps and a brake tester, the ramps will take a vehicle up for example and then be suspended there for a period of time while whatever task is carried out on vehicle, they are all hydraulic ramps so once stationary are not dragging any current, can't imagine any more than 3 ramps being operated at exactly the same time as there are only 3 members of staff!! In addition to these as i mentioned the 20A compressor, a ring final circuit with computers printer telephone and a brew room, 18 flour single tubes and very little else.
With regards to assessing my own diversity are there any guide lines in the regs to work to, e.g. in the osg there are guidelines on domestic kitchens with regards to ovens ect

cheers chaps

You need to make your own assessment of diversity for this installation.

How often will more than one ramp be operating at once?
What kit is there other than the ramps? And how often is it likely to be used?
I think its fair to assume there is going to be a compressor in there somewhere, but again that's going to be cycling on and off all day.

I'd be surprised if, based on what you've said so far, you need more than the 63A. But without all the information how could I say for sure?

As i have 63A on EACH phase can i to some degree divide my 97A by 3 as it is shared across the 3 phases ?

Please excuse my ignorence, have not done much 3ph at all but am keen to learn and want to get it right

Right, how did you calculate the 97A figure from them? Did you multiply each machines rated current by 3? Or did you just take the rated current of the 3ph machines and add it to the other single phase loads?

With respect I think you would be better off engaging the services of someone experienced with these things to work with you in this.

Seeing as you have 6 ramps, one brake tester, a compressor, plus lighting and a bit of small socket power, and only 3 operatives (which doesn't quite make sense to me) the diversity is going to play a major factor with regards to defining the max demand of this MOT centre!! I bet you'll never see 63A or anywhere close under the present set-up!!

I would imagine the brake tester is going to draw the largest load, and that will only be for around 30 seconds or so per test....

Brake tester is he largest at 26A, he is going to be testing all vehicles from little pencil sharpeners right upto 7.5 toners hence the wide variety of lifts i suppose. So do you think i am going to be ok with 63A then.?

Also do all of the conductors need to be sea or can i use appropriate sized flex.? will be using cable tray

the 97A is across all 3ph not per Phase,

I have ascertained all these A values from the motor plates

As i have 63A on EACH phase can i to some degree divide my 97A by 3 as it is shared across the 3 phases ?

These don't hang together. The fact that you are looking at figures with all three phases added makes me think Davesparks is right and you should work through this project with someone experienced in machinery and motor installation, who can fill in some of the blanks and help consolidate your knowledge base regarding 3-phase theory etc. There may be other aspects to consider, such as permissible voltage drop when starting motors, which are difficult to advise on without being on the spot and having all the data.

Personally I bet the whole place would run off a 32A supply so long as the voltage doesn't sag too much when two people hit their up buttons while the third is taking a spin on the rolling road.

e2a:

Do all of he conductors need to be SWA or can i use the appropriate sized flex

Surely you would use whatever type of wiring system the circumstances require? CY, SY, MIMS, SWA, any or all might suit depending on a bazillion factors we can't tell from here...

I didn’t realise you could get banned for incompetence, what else has our OP done?

I was just thinking the same tony, he must have got a bit naughty judging by Ian's comment in post 19

Is be looking at steel conduit/trunking for a start from scratch job like this.

But then I was taught to do a job properly to a high standard!

Agree, a metal containment system would in my opinion be a must in such an environment. Ideally underfloor to supply the ramps and brake testing rig.... Trouble is, most electricians these day's only consider SWA cable...

Or Flex as it appears here!

Underfloor probably won't be economically possible in a rented industrial unit, but it is possible to feed most ramps from above (if you use a bit of common sense about where you make the drop)

Reply to 3ph Mot bay - advise much needed!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock