Discuss Advice on safety of new Consumer Unit Install in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all, new to posting but been reading for years.

I inherited a house from my grandmother who passed in 2021, I intend to renovate and rent out, step by step, job by job as money allows.

Getting the property ready to rent has uncovered a fair few jobs needed to bring it out of the 1970's

I knew the electrics needed sorting so found an electrician via Check-a-trade website. He inspected wiring and said I just need an upgrade to the consumer unit. old system was 2 old bakalite cu's on day night mode I think it was called (2 different tariffs for day and night)

So he quoted and installed a single consumer unit dual rcds. 5 original circuits but I told him to disregard the shower as I would be installing a mixer tap shower .

Circuits now are, Cooker, Lights up & Lights Down on same breaker, Sockets Up and Sockets Down on separate breakers (He said their all radial circuits)

Now here comes the question as I don't think its safe.

He has installed the new consumer unit half on and half off the wooden board that the meter and main fuse are on.

Used 1 screw to fix it, the half of the consumer unit hanging off the wooden backing board there is a 30 to 35mm gap behind to the wall.

There is one screw in the bottom left into the board (I know, I took the cover off (I did safely isolate)) The CU is so unstable and wobbly.

He has had to move the CU approx 10 inch down and 14 inch to the right, so he has joined the wires above the ceiling to extend them by using junction boxes (Old bakalite types, so they must have already been there) They are free hanging between the joists under the bedroom floorboards which is just above the CU on the kitchen wall.

CU is installed at top of kitchen wall (2200mm from floor level, approx) so not accessible for kids to pull off wall or anything but it is still very loose.

There is no strip around the rear entry knockout and no fire barrier, just a large knockout with the several wires coming in.

Is this right? Safe? I need a EICR before I rent, will this even pass with those issues?

I can take photos and post them if you can't quite get what I mean.

Thanks in advance, I just want to be prepared in what I say when (if i should) call him back in to put it right.

Now, maybe the thing that should have rang alarm bells is he charged ÂŁ250, is that too cheap?, I have had a glance on line and seen its usually ÂŁ400 upwards.

I did as mentioned get him through check-a-trade so thought he would be reputable and everything, ultimately I want to know where I stand before contacting them and him.

thanks for the patience in reading this long winded post.

David

Can you please post pictures & have you mentioned your concerns to the electrician ? What accreditation scheme is he with NICIEC or NAPIT etc? Any Certification documents?

Not contacted him yet, I wanted to get as much info as possible to back myself up when speaking to him.

I will check which accreditation's he has and report back, I will also post pics later this afternoon when I visit the property and take some.

Thanks

What certificates did you get for this CU replacement?

Free hanging JBs with no strain relief do not meet regulations.

That looks like an orgy in a snake pit.

It should be securely fitted to the wall so if it is going to stay where it is then a couple of wooden battens behind it and add some extra screws.

there should be some cover that goes over the shiny copper at the bottom of the board so you cant touch it when the cover is off.
BEWARE the shiny copper bits are LIVE.

all in all at ÂŁ250 I think you were overcharged.
It is not the worst job i have seen but it is pretty dam poor workmanship in my opinion.

Lazy, lazy and rough as dog rubbish install.

I could do better after 8 pints of Old Rosie.

He could have mounted it to the right of that wooden board and secured it properly, renewed the tails, and brought the cables in through the top knockouts using correct glanding.

BG screwfix special 🤮🤮🤮

Quite apart from the rough install,
(a) I'd always install a board with at least a couple of spare ways for future use
(b) nowadays I'd install an all-RCBO board, so one circuit tripping the RCD doesn't disconnect other circuits
But I guess at such a 'cheap' price, this is what you'd expect.

Edit: just remembered the shower circuit is not used, so I guess there is one spare way.

Last edited:
It's definitely not a neat install or one done with good workmanship, but I'd say it would be unusual to get that for ÂŁ250.

The board is a Screwfix special, but he did splash out and fit Type A RCDs, so 69.99, instead of the ÂŁ49.99 option. He also used a gland for the meter tails, so he is already some way ahead of the average DIY board changer.

It should definitely be secured more firmly - with battens between it and the wall where it overhangs, and the wires to the top of the MCBs should really be better installed, with no copper on show - but then the BG supplied cables fail on that basis too!

There should also be a plastic cover sitting in front of the bus bars, so that even removing the front cover does not expose lots of live copper...

Other than that I'm not actually seeing anything that would count as unsafe. You mentioned the extended cables, but there's no picture of that so tough to make comment.

Check online with NAPIT if you haven't already that he is actually registered, as it's been known for people to claim membership of a scheme when they aren't.

If he is a NAPIT member, then that will give you some comeback should there be a problem. Check that he will be providing a Part P certificate, as well as an Electrical installation Certificate.

If you get those, then there is probably not much to be concerned about. I would not use him for the EICR though, as that will give you an independent and more thorough inspection that what he has done is at least safe.

Reply to Advice on safety of new Consumer Unit Install in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net