Discuss Another 'Should I get back in the game' Question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Claret73

Trainee
Reaction score
Afternoon folks
I've been sat on a prickly fence since last Summer, contemplating if I should pick up my qualies again and seek out a position as a Mate/Improver.

I took redundancy last Summer from a job I absolutely hated, yet paid well. I then landed into a role I was already doing a bit of part-time work at but this is constantly putting me in furlough when we have lockdown and who knows if this will be the last time.

I qualified in 2010 with L3 C&G 2330 after having paid my own way at nightschool. I worked with a couple of sparks regularly, mainly in domestic with some light commercial from 2008. With the last recession, it was 2012 when I had to stop as I wasn't get paid often enough and really needed more experience before I could even think of going on my own.

I was chatting to my old spark who now lectures and advised me to revisit the Regs and see if I could get on with a company. I'm considering looking for some good opportunities, somebody who might wish to invest some time with me. I haven't forgotten everything! I'm 47 now, the furloughed job doesn't pay when I'm not working and so need to really crack on with it.

I was self-employed subbing before and although this was OK, the uncertainty of work wasn't great if the 2 guys had a patch where they no longer needed me.

I bought some books covering the latest updates, just to see what might have changed. I know there's also a good bunch of You Tube guys & have viewed some of those, just to refamiliarise myself.

I'm currently in Birmingham. However, I've also been working at a Mountain Training award in my spare time and so would quite happily move near hills and mountains should an option be viable.

What are people's advice? What's the shape of the trade like? ( I do plan to visit the local trade counter we used) Any info would be really appreciated.
Cheers!

I’m 49 and thinking about getting out, but I’d encourage anyone to persue this career if you have what it takes.

As for work. There is literally too much out there. Since the first lockdown I’ve made more money than I would normally Make despite closing down for 8 weeks. Feel guilty taking furlough. I’ve just locked down for another 4 weeks for this Outbreak.
when I resume i will have work to last til June.
normally I’m booked up 2 or 3 weeks in advance with a few days left spare for emergencies.
so the trade is booming.

go for it.

I don’t live anywhere near Birmingham so can’t help.

Go for it...

loads of work out there and loads of money to be made

some of the quotes and figures I hear banded about locally by sparks are eye watering , some earning £800-900 in a single day

I’m happy plodding along now doing small works but have been asked to quote for bigger jobs locally , £10-15,000 for a basic rewire isn’t uncommon

I’m 49 and thinking about getting out, but I’d encourage anyone to persue this career if you have what it takes.

As for work. There is literally too much out there. Since the first lockdown I’ve made more money than I would normally Make despite closing down for 8 weeks. Feel guilty taking furlough. I’ve just locked down for another 4 weeks for this Outbreak.
when I resume i will have work to last til June.
normally I’m booked up 2 or 3 weeks in advance with a few days left spare for emergencies.
so the trade is booming.

go for it.

I don’t live anywhere near Birmingham so can’t help.
Hi Pete
Thanks for the response. Greatly appreciated. Maybe I should move to Dartmoor? Plenty going on there for outdoor stuff ;-)

Go for it...

loads of work out there and loads of money to be made

some of the quotes and figures I hear banded about locally by sparks are eye watering , some earning £800-900 in a single day

I’m happy plodding along now doing small works but have been asked to quote for bigger jobs locally , £10-15,000 for a basic rewire isn’t uncommon
Thanks for the info Dusty! That's encouraging regarding the amount of work. I'll take a better view on it.

Reply to Another 'Should I get back in the game' Question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net