Discuss Budding electrician needs advice in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

spclark0804

Hi

I am 40 in about a month and a half, married, 2 kids, mortgage etc, Anyway I have spent all my working life in the banking industry and now desparately need a new direction. (Wife blaming my age) :)
I have finally decided after years and years of going on about it to get off my bum and find out how to train to and eventually qualify as an electrician, and stumbled upon this forum website this evening whilst looking for info on courses.

Please could anyone advise me honestly. Am I too old to start a new career ?

I have loads of knowledge of electrics and pretty much loads of other things DIY, I have taught myself over the years from watching other people and reading books,
I recently helped put in my central heating system, and new consumer unit, with the aid of a corgi plumber and an electrician to do the last bits (ie fitting boiler and last bits of conecting up the electrics to main fuse box etc), although the electrician did let me help him with the earthing and running the cables under floors etc, and fitting new plug sockets. And I did save the plumber days of work as all I left him to do was fit and connect the boiler.

All help and advice regarding training and the best way to get a job as an electrician would be greatly appreciated.:):):)
Would have to fit training in around current job until I could guarantee income from electrics etc. Am under no illusions about earning loads and would be happy to earn enough to pay bills and be happier in my working life.

Thanks very much
Pete

Pete

I am currently retraining as Im due to leve the navy in 3 years, I have been in the navy for 19 yrs. aarrgghh!! I dont think you are ever to old to retrain. I have gone down the retaining route. I have started with the C&G 2330 level 2 which finishes this mJune, it is 2 yrs of night school. However if you want to do purely domestic and you have a good understanding you could Consider the EAL Domestic Installers Course which is approx 2 weeks. Once you complete this you can register with a National Body ie the NICEIC as an approved Domestic Installer cost aboutv £450 for registration per year. You will also need the 17th Edition Regs course 3-4 days depending.

If you want to be fully qualified the C&G route but will take about 3 yrs. But if just domestic then the EAL, I hope this helps.

Regards

Chris

Reply to Budding electrician needs advice in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock