Discuss Connecting a low voltage transformer using a external switch? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

GVCCRLM

DIY
Reaction score
Currently I have 4 small low voltage transformers connected to 4 circuits of low voltage yard lights. They are under my deck, and I turn then on and off using switches above the deck.

I want to consolidate those transformers into one transformer.

My question is how do I use these switches to turn lights on and off from the deck.

I would like to use the same switches from the old transformers to do this.

It would be impractical to have to crawl under the deck to turn the lights on and off.

Should I connect the low voltage light wires to the switches, and then run wire from the switches to the transformer for each light circuit. I will have to leave the transformer in the ON state all the time.

What is the best way to do this? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you,

Should I connect the low voltage light wires to the switches, and then run wire from the switches to the transformer for each light circuit. I will have to leave the transformer in the ON state all the time
With that transformer, your suggestion is probably the only way of individually controlling each group of lights. Putting the switches on the secondary low voltage side, the current going through them will be about 10 times what it was previously, so you need to check the existing switches will be OK for their new load.
I'd also put a switch on the primary side to turn the transformer off when not needed.

Is just switching the whole lot on or off together not a desirable option?

Currently I have two switches, circuit 1,2,3 run 3 strands of low voltage lights, circuit 4 runs the low voltage deck lights. I am not sure how they are connected to the switches. Is there a connector that will allow 3 sets of wires to connect to the switch using 1 wire. I am not sure how to get low voltage wires connect to one switch.

I was suggesting just wiring each of your light circuits directly to the transformer unit outputs (without the switches) and putting a switch on the input to the transformer, to turn everything on at once.
If any of your lights are LED, are they definately ac powered - ie each powered by just a transformer, not an LED driver or DC PSU?

I must be dense. There is no input switch on the transformer just a power cable. Usually these use timers or photo cells to turn. I find it odd that no one has switching capability on there transformers. Sometimes in fact quite a bit they are in places where they are not easy to get to, and timers and photo cells just are not a good option. Thanks

Reply to Connecting a low voltage transformer using a external switch? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net