Discuss DIY Stepper motor output reducer in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Your stepper motor is bipolar which means current flows in both directions through the coils. A diode in series or in parallel with a coil would prevent bi-directional current flow.

DIY Stepper motor output reducer 1561642132790 - EletriciansForums.net

yep.. When i thought about it, that's what I realised.. gonna need to make a board with a driver socket on top and pins on bottom as a pass through which i can then use the diode on

Not sure what motherboard you using here, most folk use something like an arduino with a "cnc" v3 shield and stepper drivers like A4988 or one of the newer Silent TMC2xxx drivers that support microstepping. Do you have a particular need to design this from scratch, IE needing more than just XYZ and extrude?

The stepper drivers are 'for makerbot' which I think is a Tmc2100 .. I don't need to design them from scratch.. as stated earlier, the issue is the feedback which is generated from any motor when it's turned by hand, in this case, when the carriage or build platform need to be moved by hand when the device is off. this generates a current which is then thrown into the board and cause lead to spikes and the screen, for example, turning on briefly. while this can be partly controlled by being very careful to go slowly when moving, but at times, can be hard to avoid and I was looking in to methods to pretty much remove this from beign a problem. A diode on the power line between the board and the driver was suggested and I was going to try this out, but the first problem, without dealing with bending pins, would be to have some form of 'extension' so the diode can be added without physically modifying the stepper driver or the board itself. I did wonder about doing it between the motor and the driver but it didn't take too long (and was even confirmed) that this was just a stupid idea which wouldn't work anyway. as the Driver pins plug into the sockets on the board for easy replacement, the location of where to put the diode is somewhat limited

In which case don't move the platform/head by hand. The unit should be under software control and you can use one of the fast goto GCODE commands to move the platform/head. Alternatively you could use M18/M17 to disable/enable the motors as required before moving the platform/head.

Using diodes will not work for the reasons already stated. You could introduce manual switches (you would need two for each 4 wire bipolar stepper). That, however, would be eight switches to change everytime you wanted to make a manual movement.

Reply to DIY Stepper motor output reducer in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock