Discuss Eicr no visible main bond to water services in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Do the EICR and consider remedial costs after and don't be blinded to other matters by proving or disproving the water bond. Me I would get the job done then spend a bit of time on the bond problem.

Oh the joys . If you have looked in all the usual hidden places they may have bonded it in a pipe box going to the upstairs flat . Councils do strange things.
I worked in one where all the rewired cables come down the exterior wall cavities back to CU. Circa rewire 1984.

With all the sticker we have to put on boards these day i sometimes think a bonding location sticker would be a good idea.
Sometimes people don't even know where there water/gas come in.
Yes i know i could make one myself

With all the sticker we have to put on boards these day i sometimes think a bonding location sticker would be a good idea.
Sometimes people don't even know where there water/gas come in.
Yes i know i could make one myself

I agree about the labelling. Would be more use than most of the other labels usually stuck to a board. Here's one I did earlier.
IMG_9185 - Copy.JPG

Me too. About 15 years ago I submitted a request to the IEE that this should be a requirement and it was put forward for consideration but I received a letter back stating it wasn't necessary, still got it somewhere.

Again thanks for all advice, landlord got no probs with me doing the water bonding, also found a dodgy socket no connection to the earth pin somehow, will complete this before issuing the cert

Oh ---- I forgot, the earth to the earth rod is about 10" from the wall, 10mm cable not buried so fine, but an obvious tripping hazard, needs conduit etc but wouldn't a conduit box etc pose more of a tripping hazard? Sorry but everything I see lately seems a mind bending issue

I dunno, but been told the builders kicked the cable off previously just looks a bit of a ---- up to me, been OK for the last fifty odd years but if the landlords willing to pay??

That gas pipe needs some investigation where it goes through the wall , either the sleeving has been pebble-dashed over, or there is no sleeving.
Either way that cement needs cleaning off the copper.

It's the effect of the cement on the gas pipe I was referring too , cement eats away the copper. It may be advisable to mention it to the landlord.
If it has been pointed in with cement it is a potential hazard.

It's the effect of the cement on the gas pipe I was referring too , cement eats away the copper. It may be advisable to mention it to the landlord.
If it has been pointed in with cement it is a potential hazard.
And this has what to do with an EICR.

I dunno, but been told the builders kicked the cable off previously just looks a bit of a **** up to me, been OK for the last fifty odd years but if the landlords willing to pay??
Check Ra / Ze / Zs to see if it's any good. I see it's the skinny rod, so likely just one 1.2m section which may be a bit ordinary. They will have put it out there to clear the building's footings. If you dig - is that the gas line coming up wall there? Have a good look about and go slow.

I don't think that connection is very well protected against corrosion, there's no mechanical protection for the cable where it obviously needs it and no means of preventing undue strain on the termination.
Plus it looks like about 6" of the 4' rod is sticking out of the ground, so that's 1/8th of its length not even being used.

Reply to Eicr no visible main bond to water services in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net