Discuss Electrical Work? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

He asked if he is 'allowed' to do it so i answered. I was just making a small point and you've decided to stretch it into several posts. Just move on.

But he can't test it!!

So does he leave the tennant without electricity while he gets it tested and certs filled in?

I'm not stretching anything, I'm making a valid point.

The only way that I can see a DIY consumer unit really working out is if the DIYEr does it in an empty property and then gets an EICR done the day after (this does not get round the lack of planning permission)

BUT

That could work (not strictly correct) but better than having no testing

You're allowed to drive at 200mph, but it might be considered irresponsible to advise anyone to do so without further qualification.
Are you thou ?

If I drove at 200 miles per hour I would likely end up in jail

If I fit a fuse box at my own property I doubt the police would even smack my bum

The law states that anybody can do electrical work of any kind as long as they are competent.
not sure I agree with this statement.

In regard to law. Are you referring to statutory regulations or non statutory regulations.

also the term competent is no longer recognised in the regulations.
electricaly skilled is what is now required.

Wow,
Apologies for poking a preverbal hornets nest.

Everything here presented is of sound advice. I didn't realise the circuits needed testing prior to the board being changed, and as commented, if I were to change and wire in the new board, this work would have to be undone for said pre-testing, so pointless.

Oh, and just for your information I am a Mechanical, Electrical, Hydraulic and Pneumatic Engineer working in the Rail Industry. I guess you could say I know a little of everything ?

Thank you so much to everyone who has contributed in helping me, I am truly grateful.

Keith

Wow,
Apologies for poking a preverbal hornets nest.

Everything here presented is of sound advice. I didn't realise the circuits needed testing prior to the board being changed, and as commented, if I were to change and wire in the new board, this work would have to be undone for said pre-testing, so pointless.

Oh, and just for your information I am a Mechanical, Electrical, Hydraulic and Pneumatic Engineer working in the Rail Industry. I guess you could say I know a little of everything ?

Thank you so much to everyone who has contributed in helping me, I am truly grateful.

Keith
Impressive cv, but can you cook?

It makes me think of a lot of british gas with the hive ev installers/ meter fitters. They put the meter fitters on an ev course and basic testing. Got them fitting ev chargers now. They did all of 5 days training for this. There is a QS somewhere who is signing off the certs. The meter guys may well have some experience of working with tails and fuses but understanding the nuances of ev charging is something im still learning after more than 150 installs. Same goes here .. experience and skills are key. The third party certification if used correctly is a good thing but has many limitations. I wouldnt want to sign off somebody elses board change as there are simply too many things that need checking. I would have to have absolute confidence in the person doing it.. ie know them, their experience and skills.

A friend of my wife who is in her late 20s is currently in the process of being employed by BG and on a BG course to install smart meters , EV chargers amongst other things and from what I understand its 2 days and then you are out in the real world. We might be catching up tonight so I might get chance to ask her what was involved and was it pass / fail , what testing she did etc etc

Reply to Electrical Work? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net