Discuss First Job estimate price check in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I am in the process of doing my first quote and wanted to see what people thought in regards to my price as this is my first one since becoming registered so it would be great to see if I am in and around the right lines or whether I am way off the mark.

The job is as follows:

-Fitting three double sockets to an existing ring final and chasing the cables in the wall horizontally between them (I know not best practice but the client has concrete floors and is really against surface trunking).
-The chases will be about 3 meters either side of the existing socket, il fit some conduit for a bit of extra protection but the circuit is protected by an rcd and the cables will be in the safe zones so won`t need to go too deep.
-Some AV work chasing in and fitting 2 HDMI cables, a USB, coax and a Network cable to modular face plate on a wall from behind where the client wants the tv mounted to where the sky box/router is. (about 3m in total end to end).
-Making good by bonding and skimming all the chases
-The walls are all masonary.
-Tested and minor works cert issued.

I`m looking at it as a full days work possibly a day and a half with the plastering and fiddling with the coax and network cable so was going to charge £220 labour + Materials.

Does this sound about right or is it too under/over priced? If any of you experienced guys could offer some advice it would be greatly appreciated, feels a bit alien to me at the minute with it being new and this forum has been really helpful so far with advice.

I agree with Vortigern, £220 is a bit low for a full day, and certainly too low if you need to return for another half day e.g. due to plastering/skimming. It is always easier to reduce the price a bit if you don't need to return, much harder to say it will be 50% more.

Thank you, thats made me a bit happier as I was thinking it seemed like a fair bit of work for not that much money but felt like I was charging too much with me not being used to normal prices that are charged. I also don't want to undercharge because I don't want to undermine all the training and studying it takes to become qualified so thought best to check

Well on publications and training in the past year alone I have spent £3k. While the customer may not realise what they are paying for they do have to pay for me to keep abreast of current matters electrically. I suppose that is why people can undercut me who don't spend on that kind of thing. But then you get what you pay for don't you. By the way I meant £280 per day not £320 that is for unsocial hours the higher rate.

Recently did AV stuff with similar specs...fortunately the plaster was 35mm deep and I could choose the route.
Installation was easy, but making good was a nightmare. A day and a half, £400 + materials...to be fair, no mains voltage cables involved.
I did do the emulsion painting at the end.

Yea you're right, i'm on over 1k already this year on the 18th books and course and the annual fee.

I'd say you are too cheap. Have you worked out what you need to earn to get the amount you'd like to earn. If you follow.

No I was going of a rate of £180 a day + the £40 in case it ran over because of just starting out but maybe I should up that taking into account cost of courses training etc like what Vortigern mentioned. I'm glad I asked here, thanks for all the asvice.

I'm far from the most experienced spark in here but here's something for comparison and one I gratefully lost today.
3 x 5m house extension in outer London. Requires sockets, down lights, Outside lights and sockets. TV co-ax connection and Part P certificate. Builder is somewhat disorganised so attracts my PITA tax of 10% and I'm not VAT registered. Board has space for extra circuits.

I quoted £1275 and lost it to a quote of £600! Mate - you are welcome to it at that rate. FFS, I can charge that for 3 / 4 days subbing and then nothing is my problem - fit and forget.

Expecting a call in about a month - " just a few things to finish off and we'll need you to supply a certificate"

Last edited:
Justnstarting out I think £220 is a fair price for a day. Not if you need to go back. Maybe look at about £300 for labour.

IMO if you can do the making good it makes you much more likely to get domestic work.

Who wants to get a decorator/plasterer in to fill a few chases. Plasterer would probably charge for full day because he can't possibly put a mix on after 1PM

I offer making good and have it any estimates I send out.

As said it attracts customers to use me, as many only want to deal with 1 person for an entire job. So me arranging plastering is a good thing for them.

I agree that making good is important as the vast majority of sparks do this so you would lose a lot of work if you don't.

I also agree that you are under charging, but in fairness we probably all did the same in the early days.

Reply to First Job estimate price check in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock