Search the forum,

Discuss Hello everybody & an old old question in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

Rabbit

Hello All

Finally joined after few months of dipping in and reading lots of posts. Have been working with another bloke trying to learn as much as poss as only been in trade for a while. Am looking at buying a tester at the moment - know this has been covered before but I'll risk it anyway - Fluke or Megger:confused:

Thinking of either the Megger 1552 or Fluke 1652B. Meggers seem really easy to use but some people say the Fluke's a better tester overall. Anybody got recent experiences of the newer models out now? Any advice would be appreciated - can't afford to shell out £500 too often.

Cheers

Welcome to Electricians Forum | Electrical Advice Forum | An electrical forum for electricians in the UK!

Hi Rabbit and welcome to electriciansforums.net!

I bought fluke because my colleague has one, However has since learnt that fluke is american and megger british, they both appear to be very good testers though, the fluke does use batteries up, I have experience of the megger, but would guess its the same. Went to Maplins and got 16 rechargables and a charging unit for 49 quid, so a heavy, but one off expense. A large install and test will do a set of duracells, so the 49 quid will soon pay for itself, especially as it will supply power for haeadlights etc as well. I also test every wire as it goes in, especially those that went in on long runs through a few twists and turns, and the floor board layers are breathing down yer neck !!

Hi,
I have the megger 1553.
Superb and easy to use....even for me !!!
Can also bluetooth the results on to my pc ( with additional software ).
Hope this helps,
Sav

Hi Rabbit

Have you looked at a metrel, lovely bit of kit easy to use, comes with rechargable batteries and inbuilt charger. can store 400 test results so at the end of the day just plug in to your pc and print straight to your certs. even includes the software. is worth having a look before you part with all your cash.:D

Re: Hello everybody & an old old question -THANK YOU

Thanks for the replies and the welcomes everybody. I'll take a look at the metrel - don't know anything about it though. Will let you know what i decide on and need to make a decision soon.

Cheers all

Re: Hello everybody & an old old question -THANK YOU

Thanks for the replies and the welcomes everybody. I'll take a look at the metrel - don't know anything about it though. Will let you know what i decide on and need to make a decision soon.

Cheers all

Hello and Welcome Rabbit.

I recall the NIC selling off their "NIC branded" Metrel multi function tester and seem remember think "that's a good price".

Have a look on their website NICEIC - approving excellence
If not they've both the Megger and Fluke one sale... Don't know how the price compares so you'll need to shop around.

As for me I've got a Kewtech KT-64 which I really get on well with. Alot of people slag Kewtech off because they're cheap but I've never had any issues.
So if you want a multi function tester for under £500 I'd recommend the KT-64

Cheers
Jim

Hi Gary

Just looking at the metrel mi 3002 with the download and rechargeable batteries - is this the one you've got? I don't know anything about these testers- reliability etc. When you null out the leads does it hold zero or do you have to keep redoing it? KNow this is can be a pain with the meggers, although not sure about the newer ones. You seem to get more for the money with the metrel so it's worth a closer look. Anybody else got any experience of them?

Thanks for your help

Hi Rabbit

not sure on the nulling of leads, but in the six months ive had mine its been spot on. other benifts are that its future proof, so when the regs change again just ring metrel and they will upgrade it free of charge. i got one after using one a collage, and recommendation from my tutor. hope ive been of help.:D

Hi Rabbit

not sure on the nulling of leads, but in the six months ive had mine its been spot on. other benifts are that its future proof, so when the regs change again just ring metrel and they will upgrade it free of charge. i got one after using one a collage, and recommendation from my tutor. hope ive been of help.:D

Yea, that is helpful thanks. Regarding the leads, i've used older meggers where you zero the leads, do a test and then have to zero them again - in other words the tester won't hold the zero. Think the newer flukes are better on this - you can change settings, do a few tests and the leads are still nulled - you don't have to keep checking it. Where did you buy your metrel and what sort of price?

THanks again for your advice:D

Reply to Hello everybody & an old old question in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back