Discuss Induction Hob swap/install in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

r8sso80

DIY
Reaction score
Hi all
I'm in the process of swapping out my 4 zone CDA induction hob for a 5 zone Bosch.

Currently the existing wire starts as a 5 core cable that is crimped at the induction hob end into 3 core cable.

The Bosch comes with a shorter cable which has 5 core on both ends. I'd like to try and reuse the existing cable but not sure if that would be possible based on the Bosch install diagram.

The Bosch diagram has five cables going into the hob and then crimps the BN/BK and the GY/BU into one at the fused plug...the inverse basically to how the existing cable runs...

I guess my question is, can I just flip the existing cable around so that a single BN/BU & GN/YE comes out of the fused socket and leaves 5 cores to go into the Bosch?

I read that the hob is made to support single/split or 3phase supplies. If my supply is single phase is there any need to split the supply across a BK BN input on the hob when the other end is connected to the same source?! 🤷🏽‍♂️

Induction Hob swap/install Screenshot_20230216-143459~2 - EletriciansForums.netInduction Hob swap/install Screenshot_20230216-143508~2 - EletriciansForums.netInduction Hob swap/install Screenshot_20230216-143512~2 - EletriciansForums.net

What is the current rating of the hob and the size of the existing cable?

What you propose sounds fine, as you will be feeding L & N into the two pairs of terminals as intended with the new Bosch hob. Are the five separate ends of the old cable still fitted with their ferrules, so as to make a sound connection into the terminals of the hob?

I don't know what that piece of terminal block is showing in the bottom picture but it is too small for this current and cable size.

What you propose sounds fine, as you will be feeding L & N into the two pairs of terminals as intended with the new Bosch hob. Are the five separate ends of the old cable still fitted with their ferrules, so as to make a sound connection into the terminals of the hob?

I don't know what that piece of terminal block is showing in the bottom picture but it is too small for this current and cable size.
So that terminal block is a bit misleading as I had to zoom/crop for size. So if you look at the back of the fused plug cooker switch pic, with the two neutral / two live and earth wire coming out, that terminal block is the other end!

So the 5 cables coming out the back of that cooker switch would be going into the Bosch. And the three cables in the terminal block would go into the cooker switch box...

Hope that makes sense! :)

Attachments

• Induction Hob swap/install PXL_20230216_160933040~2 - EletriciansForums.net
    PXL_20230216_160933040~2.jpg
    411.1 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Could you clarify the overall way you will be wiring this. Including the fused plug. I'm a bit confused, but then it might just be me!

Could you clarify the overall way you will be wiring this. Including the fused plug. I'm a bit confused, but then it might just be me!
Ok - so I removed the wire from my old induction hob and that was just the 3 connections that you can see in the terminal block. If I chase that cable back to the fused plug cooker switch it splits out into 5 cores; 2 brown, 2 blue and an earth.

The new Bosch cable is 5 cores on each end but much shorter than the existing one that's currently running out of the fused plug cooker switch.

The Bosch installation diagram has 5 cores connecting to the hob which means I can't use my existing wire as it's crimped together so I only have 3 cores...

My query was, could I flip the existing cable so that the three cores went into the fused plugcooker switch... leaving me with 5 cores at the other end to connect to the induction hob? (Assuming it doesn't matter they are brown/brown and not black/brown)

Last edited:

I think it's 7400W

"Power management options for 16A, 13A or 10A connection"

I think rather than a fused plug, you mean a fused spur?

If so you would need to ensure it is wired appropriately for the 13A available. Apologies if I've misunderstood.

If so you would need to ensure it is wired appropriately for the 13A available. Apologies if I've misunderstood.
Sorry - yes, poor terminology on my part. It's a Cooker Switch in the cupboard under the hob.

Just looking at the spec for the CDA hob it's replacing, that had a minimum power/fused size of 32A / 7.4kW so the cable should be fine...

Reply to Induction Hob swap/install in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock