Discuss Induction hob that doesn't self-limit on single-phase connection in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Mike3933

DIY
Reaction score
Hi, new here. Not a qualified electrican. Not wanting to self-instal. Not clueless though.

I have searched on 'induction hobs' here, before posting.

Question: what induction hob(s) are there on the market that do NOT self-limit to well below their (typically 7-8kW) rated maximum power, when their electronic innards 'know' they are wired up to a single-phase supply?

I can of course rule out any that come with a 13-amp plug attached!

I can rule out those whose documentation is upfront about self-limiting to 3-4kW if wired to single-phase (eg IKEA Matmassig*)

But I can't rule IN those hobs for which the documentation is silent on the matter. For example, the AEG IKB64401FB. I emailed customer services to enquire - their reply didn't answer the question, so I have gone back to them and asked them to refer my question to their technical staff.

Our house was comprehensively rewired five years ago as part of a major renovation and extension. The existing 7kW ceramic hob (which is not self-limiting) has a dedicated supply back to its own 32a RCD at the fuseboard, with nothing else on that radial cabling.

*recommended by a leading consumer affairs magazine (I suppose I shouldn't say which) who, disappointingly, fail to draw attention to this limitation in their review

as you have it on a 32A circuit ( 6mm cable??) then that circuit will cope with any seduction hob, no matter what.

Looks like this self limiting is a european thing to limit the load to a maximum of 16A but there doesn't seem to be any way to override it

Mike - you might try searching the web for technical blurb for models you are particularly interested in. For example the AEG IKB64401FB you mention, has a user manual with a section on power management that says: "The function activates when the total electricity loading of the cooking zones connected to a single phase exceeds 3700 W". So that doesn't meet your requirement for the full 7kw.
To be fair, if you've been using a ceramic hob in the past, you will likely be impressed with the induction equivalent, as (subject to the right pans) it will heat quicker, and be easier to control.
If you really need to get lots of heat into lots of pans simultaneously, especially big ones, you could look at the multi zone whole surface types. Avoid the cheap stuff!

I share the pain of the OP... So often, just trying to find out basic information for an appliance is almost impossible. I think it's all part of the modern 'dumbing down'.

I'm intrigued why you want a hob that has no overall internal current limit functionality. I'm a relatively new convert to induction hobs and just use it like a normal hob. I have an AEG one that has a 'P' setting for maximum... so if it's say a pot of water for pasta going on, I whack it on 'P', then after a few minutes the hob will automatically knock it back to '14'. The water boils very quickly. With all the 'rings' going... everything just simmers away nicely... I've never noticed, nor been frustrated with any load management functionality. I guess if you wanted to use all 'rings' to boil multiple pans of water... it might delay proceedings by a few mins ??

Any luck finding that hob? I also just read that limitation in the manual (before ordering!) and like the AEG model. So I wonder what your result finally was.
OK, I sent an email to technical support at Electrolux / AEG and the guy phoned me back.
Yes, the appliance sees two phases, but on the connection box (to which the hob is wired two), you just split a single phase into two, using a busbar. My line from MCB to the connection box was upgraded by an electrician to be 10mm^2 and can carry 32A over that single phase. So you split that connection into two "phases" and connect L1 and L2 (which is really an L1 in my case) to the hob.

Any luck finding that hob? I also just read that limitation in the manual (before ordering!) and like the AEG model. So I wonder what your result finally was.
We purchased a Bosch PIE651BB1E (rated 7.4kW) from John Lewis inclusive of installation onto the pre-existing 32A dedicated radial circuit.. I've just done a test with all four rings on maximum power (but not 'boost'ed) which nice and conveniently led to 1 flash/second at the meter (which is rated at 500 flashes/kWh) i.e 3600 flashes/hourr = 7.2kW power draw. Less 4 flashes a minute with hob off = 0.5kWh so 6.7kW for the hob. Make of the 10% shortfall from the hob rating what you will, but it's clearly there or thereabouts.

OK, I sent an email to technical support at Electrolux / AEG and the guy phoned me back.
Yes, the appliance sees two phases, but on the connection box (to which the hob is wired two), you just split a single phase into two, using a busbar. My line from MCB to the connection box was upgraded by an electrician to be 10mm^2 and can carry 32A over that single phase. So you split that connection into two "phases" and connect L1 and L2 (which is really an L1 in my case) to the hob.
Hi there, I'm facing the same issues with my Ikea Blixtsnabb (a rebranded Electrolux / AEG model) and wondering if I can achieve the same thing to get around the self-limit issue. I'm not an electrician and not seeking to self-install, but this information would be immensely helpful. Could you share the name or email address for the guy you spoke with, maybe in a DM?

Reply to Induction hob that doesn't self-limit on single-phase connection in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net