Discuss Is that a disconnected grounding system in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Alex88

DIY
Reaction score
Hi guys,

First of all I wanna say I'm not an electrician, so my knowledge is extremely limited, so sorry in advance if I say something stupid… :p
And English is not my first language, so again, if I call some part with the wrong name, please just let me know I made a mistake, thanks!

The problem: my landlord is making some renovation in a commercial space, they had to add gas and water pipes, breaking the ground etc. Yesterday I noticed that what to me it looks like the grounding system of the general electrical panel of the building, which was connected to a ground rod, has been disconnected because they needed to break the cement but they didn't connect it again.

I'm posting some pictures so you guys can understand better the situation and tell me if I'm wrong or right.

1) Picture showing part of the electrical boxes
Is that a disconnected grounding system 01 - EletriciansForums.net

2) Box with the grounding system wires
Is that a disconnected grounding system 02 - EletriciansForums.net

3) Detail of the box with the grounding system wires
Is that a disconnected grounding system 03 - EletriciansForums.net

4) Detail of the label placed on the small rectangular panel marked in red in picture # 3
Is that a disconnected grounding system 04 - EletriciansForums.net

5) Detail of the label placed on the big rectangular panel you can notice on the right of picture # 1 (not sure if it's relevant)
Is that a disconnected grounding system 05 - EletriciansForums.net

6) Detail of what I think is the grounding electrode conductors + clamps
Is that a disconnected grounding system 06 - EletriciansForums.net

7) Another detail of what I think is the grounding electrode conductors + clamps
Is that a disconnected grounding system 07 - EletriciansForums.net

So basically what they did was breaking the ground (you can see the new cement) to add the two pipes you clearly see on the left side, so I guess they disconnected the wires from the clamps (because I'm 100% sure they were connected) and then they didn't connect them again.

They are still working, so I don't know if it's something they plan to do or if they don't even have a clue of what they're doing, I don't know, for sure I'm gonna talk with them and with the landlord, but before I'd like to know from you if that is what I think it is, or not.

Because if it's actually the grounding system it's something very dangerous.

Please let me know, thanks a lot!

think you need to wait for a US member to respond. your systems are vastly different to ours.
and welcome to the asylum of electrickery.

Hi guys,

First of all I wanna say I'm not an electrician, so my knowledge is extremely limited, so sorry in advance if I say something stupid… :p
And English is not my first language, so again, if I call some part with the wrong name, please just let me know I made a mistake, thanks!

The problem: my landlord is making some renovation in a commercial space, they had to add gas and water pipes, breaking the ground etc. Yesterday I noticed that what to me it looks like the grounding system of the general electrical panel of the building, which was connected to a ground rod, has been disconnected because they needed to break the cement but they didn't connect it again.

I'm posting some pictures so you guys can understand better the situation and tell me if I'm wrong or right.

1) Picture showing part of the electrical boxes
View attachment 58947

2) Box with the grounding system wires
View attachment 58948

3) Detail of the box with the grounding system wires
View attachment 58949

4) Detail of the label placed on the small rectangular panel marked in red in picture # 3
View attachment 58950

5) Detail of the label placed on the big rectangular panel you can notice on the right of picture # 1 (not sure if it's relevant)
View attachment 58951

6) Detail of what I think is the grounding electrode conductors + clamps
View attachment 58952

7) Another detail of what I think is the grounding electrode conductors + clamps
View attachment 58953

So basically what they did was breaking the ground (you can see the new cement) to add the two pipes you clearly see on the left side, so I guess they disconnected the wires from the clamps (because I'm 100% sure they were connected) and then they didn't connect them again.

They are still working, so I don't know if it's something they plan to do or if they don't even have a clue of what they're doing, I don't know, for sure I'm gonna talk with them and with the landlord, but before I'd like to know from you if that is what I think it is, or not.

Because if it's actually the grounding system it's something very dangerous.

Please let me know, thanks a lot!
Alex you need to to get that ground rod hooked back up or it’s going to cause havoc on all your 120vac appliances, TV’s microwaves etc. use # 6 bare wire and have it hooked to your ground bar to the rod ASAP and bond all the pipes they installed before someone gets killed. Hire a licensed electrician to do this for you and it shouldn’t be more than $ 100.00 usd plus maybe $ 20.00 usd for the wire and tear drips. That is very dangerous and I would give them guys hell for taking you wiring loose. Good luck

Reply to Is that a disconnected grounding system in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock