Discuss LG 235w 60 Cell Panels ...... Help in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

kev21

Firstly I'd like to say a quick hello as im a new user to this forum.

I am looking to install a small PV system to my house. I did my training course quite a while ago and never installed before.

I've got the obvious bits available and determined a good south facing location in an area with no shading. Initially I would like to install only a supplementry system which will feed into my home only. Perhaps the possibility of storing energy into a battery bank too. I am looking to keep costs low as possible.

I have been offered 3 x LG 235w panels 60cell which I believe are 24-26 volts Nominal for £450 for 3. ( is it worth it - new ) Would I be correcting in setting up these panels in a series string to maintain a higher voltage and keeping the current down to save on cable size . Approx 8 Meters run. Also looking at the correct inverter. I have seen many chinese versions available on ebay but I am not too keen. Has anyone used a mastervolt 600 and would this gried tied inverter be suitable for a system that at peak will run 705watts at peak. I know I will be never reaching this efficency theoretically after my losses. Will it be ok to use this system or should i choose a bigger inverter.

I hope you guys can Help . Cheers Kevin......

Heres the link to the panels

i may be wrong, but i don't think the forum will allow you to post links until you've reached a certain number of posts. as for the technical side, i've not got a clue. solar is not my bag, sorry.

If you're connecting it to your home then you need to be MCS certified.

thought that was only to qualify for the FIT. can't you just go ahead and fit solar to your own pad just for the free leccy?

Hi Yes you do have to be MCS registered which is the direction I will be heading. I've been on a MCS training course a year ago and am an experianced spark 11years. I'm not looking for a FIT scheme but rather just a little discount on my bill , I was looking at adding a battery bank with a gried tied setup up. So I can use stored generated power whilst im out at work to be used at night for simple Led lighting and some low rated appliances.

With 3 panels (705w)? It's hardly worth it ..... we've stopped putting 3kwp on our rented houses at cost because the payback is too long. Spend the cash and put at least 2kwp on to make it worthwhile.

With 3 panels (705w)? It's hardly worth it ..... we've stopped putting 3kwp on our rented houses at cost because the payback is too long. Spend the cash and put at least 2kwp on to make it worthwhile.

Hi mate, I would love to have a 2kw + system but I have lack of roof space in the right direction and we live in a rented house. So not ideal. Also I weighed up the costing to be around £3000. With this install i am running around a third of a 2kw capacity but have only invested Just under £600 on kit with my own labour. Does anybody know the calcs for return based on average assumptions- 3 panels at 235 watts each connected to a mastervolt grid tied system system 600. Located on a south facing roof with constant day light for 12hours summer and assumptions made winter 4 hours per a day and spring 4-5. Would it seem reasonable to assume Kw generated calcs at 50% of peak as an average. How long do you think it will take to get a return to break even on this kit before I benefit from solar.

Cheers

SAP 2009 (just what I had handy - don't shoot me down!!) shows 579kwh annually generated. 579 x 0.14p/kwh = £81/pa - 7.5 yr payback. For what it's worth I'm a landlord and there's no way I'd allow any of my tenants to do this. Not being negative, just realistic - have you got permission from him/her? It can increase the cost of the buildings insurance for no gain for the landlord.

Alright mate, Thanks for that. Not really worth it is it...... Based on the investment. My Dads the landlord so the house is as good as mine. Regardless I would be making my own supports in a way there would be no structural damage to the roof. I've also read up on systems that are running an average of 500watts are classed as very small and would not need MCS or notification to the DNO or any authorities as such. Don't quote me as i'm not starting a thread for an argument but rather the bits i've read whilst researching. Has anyone also looked into wind turbines.

Just a thought, is there a cheaper option for example to get my costs down like those smaller micro inverters. Which makes it more worthwhile cost vs output

Hi guys, if you DON'T want FIT since when do you have to be MCS Certified? A competent person no doubt for the electrics, and the DNO will want to see some qualifications, where does it say you need to be MCS though?

Reply to LG 235w 60 Cell Panels ...... Help in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net